David H
David H, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  18 years cadillac dealer.ase master certified.gm master certified

Cadillac Deville how many hours should it take to pull out

Customer Question

how many hours should it take to pull out the old and put in the new transmission in a 1996 deville "Y" vin also any ideas on doing it myself? Answers are GREATLY appreciated..Thank you ...Art-
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  David H replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer.

$400.00 is a good price for a certified and hopefully tested used transmission.The time to remove is usually about 6.0 hours.The process requires an engine support that holds the engine in place while removing the engine subframe to access and remove the transmission.Here is the removal procedure.

J 35551 Ball Stud Nut Wrench
J 28467-B Universal Engine Support Fixture
J 41160 Transmission Jack Adapter

Removal Procedure

Caution: Unless directed otherwise, the ignition and start switch must be in the OFF or LOCK position, and all electrical loads must be OFF before servicing any electrical component. Disconnect the negative battery cable to prevent an electrical spark should a tool or equipment come in contact with an exposed electrical terminal. Failure to follow these precautions may result in personal injury and/or damage to the vehicle or its components.

For Vehicles equipped with OnStar® (UE1) with Back Up Battery: The Back Up Battery is a redundant power supply to allow limited OnStar® functionality in the event of a main vehicle battery power disruption to the VCIM (OnStar®module). Do not disconnect the main vehicle battery or remove the OnStar® fuse with the ignition key in any position other than OFF. Retained accessory power (RAP) should be allowed to time out or be disabled (simply opening the driver door should disable RAP) before disconnecting power. Disconnecting power to the OnStar® module in any way while the ignition is On or with RAP activated may cause activation of the OnStar® Back-Up Battery (BUB) system and will discharge and permanently damage the back-up battery. Once the Back-Up Battery is activated it will stay on until it has completely discharged. The BUB is not rechargeable and once activated the BUB must be replaced.
    Object Number: 38205  Size: SH

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery negative terminal.
  2. Remove the headlamp housing upper filler panel. Refer to Filler Panel Replacement - Upper (Eldorado) in Body Front End.
  3. Remove the diagonal brace. Refer to Brace Replacement - Radiator Support Diagonal in Body Front End.
  4. Remove the air cleaner assembly. Refer to Air Cleaner Assembly Replacement in Engine Controls.
  5. Remove the shift control cable and the bracket at the transmission.
  6. Remove the torque struts.
  7. Remove the oil cooler lines at the cooler and the oil sending line at the transmission.
  8. Remove the upper bell housing bolts (2).
  9. Remove the power steering return hose at the auxiliary cooler.
  10. Install plugs in the cooler and the return hose to prevent fluid leakage or contamination.
  11. Important : Load the support fixture by tightening the wing nuts several turns in order to take the weight of the powertrain off of the mounts and the frame.

Object Number: 97528  Size: SH

12. Install the J 28467-B .
  13. Raise the left side of the powertrain (the transmission side) 25.4 mm (I.0 in) above the powertrain resting position with the adjusting screws.
  14. Raise the vehicle.
  15. Support the vehicle with safety stands.
  16. Remove both front tires and wheels. Refer to Wheel Removal in Suspension.
  17. Remove both front wheel opening splash shields.
  18. Remove both front suspension position sensors from the lower control arms and position out of the way.
  19. Remove both stabilizer links from the struts. Refer to Stabilizer Shaft Link Replacement in Suspension.
  20. Remove both tie rod cotter pins and nuts and separate both tie rods from the steering knuckles. Refer to Tie Rod End Replacement - Outer in Steering.
  21. Remove both lower ball joint cotter pins and nuts. Separate both ball joints from the struts. Refer to Lower Ball Joint Replacement (Without V4U/B9Q) with V4U/B9Q or Lower Ball Joint Replacement (With V4U/B9Q) without in Suspension.
  22. Remove both drive axles from the transmission. Refer to Wheel Drive Shafts Replacement in Driveline Axle.
  23. Remove the fuel filter bracket from the frame.
  24. Remove the A/C splash shield from the frame.
  25. Remove the ABS modulator from the bracket and the support.
  26. Remove the engine oil pan to transmission bracket.
  27. Remove the torque converter cover.
  28. Important: Mark the flywheel to converter position so that they can be assembled in the same position.

29. Remove the flywheel to converter bolts.
  30. Remove the powertrain mount nuts from the frame.
  31. Remove the clamp bolt (Rotate the steering intermediate shaft so that the steering gear stub shaft clamp bolt is accessible from the left wheel opening).
  32. Caution: Failure to disconnect the intermediate shaft from the rack and pinion steering gear stub shaft can result in damage to the steering gear or to the intermediate shaft. This damage may cause loss of steering control, which could result in an accident and possible personal injury.

Notice: Do not rotate the steering wheel or move the position of the steering gear once the intermediate shaft is disconnected. This will uncenter the Inflatable Restraint coil in the steering column. If the Inflatable Restraint coil becomes uncentered, it may be damaged during vehicle operation.

33. Remove the steering intermediate shaft from the steering gear.
  34. Remove the electrical harness and connector from the front of the frame.
  35. Support the rear of frame with an adjustable jack stand.
  36. Remove the four rear frame bolts.
  37. Lower the jack stand a few inches to gain access to the power steering gear heat shield and the return line fitting.
  38. Remove the power steering gear heat shield and the power steering return line at the gear. Install plugs in the steering gear and pressure line in order to prevent fluid leakage or contamination.
  39. Remove the power steering electrical connector.
  40. Raise the jack stand and reinstall one rear frame bolt on each side finger tight in order to support the frame.
  41. Remove the jack stand.
  42. Remove the support frame.
  43. Remove the six frame mount bolts.
  44. Remove the lower frame and/or raise the vehicle with the steering gear attached.
  45. Remove the following electrical connectors:
  46. Three transmission connectors
    VSS connector
  47. Remove the fuel line bundle from the transmission.
  48. Remove the left transmission mount and bracket from the transmission.

49. Object Number: 97534  Size: SH

50. Remove the right transmission bracket, the mount, and the brace.
  51. Remove the engine to transmission heat shield and the bracket.
  52. Support the transaxle using the J 41160 and a suitable transmission jack.
  53. Secure the J 41160 to the transaxle.

54. Object Number: 97535  Size: SH

55. Remove the engine to transmission bolts.
  56. Lower the transmission.
  57. Flush the transmission oil cooler and pipes.
  58. Remove the manual shaft linkage and the park/neutral position switch.
  59. Remove the vehicle speed sensor.
  60. Remove the oil return pipe.

Installation Procedure

1. Install the oil return pipe.
  2. Install the vehicle Speed Sensor.
  3. Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

4. Install the park/neutral position switch and the manual shaft linkage.
    1. Tighten the park/neutral position switch bolts to 12 N·m (106 Ib in).
    2. Tighten the manual shaft nut to 20 N·m (15 Ib ft).
  5. Tighten

6. Raise the transaxle into position.

7. Object Number: 97535  Size: SH

8. Install the engine to transmission bolts.
  9. Tighten
    Tighten the bolts to 75 N·m (55 Ib ft).

10. Install the engine to transmission bracket and heat shield.
  11. Tighten
    Tighten the bolts to 47 N·m (35 Ib ft).

12. Remove the transmission jack and the J 41160 .

13. Object Number: 97534  Size: SH

14. Install the right transmission bracket, mount, and brace.
  15. Tighten
    Tighten the bolts to 47 N·m (35 Ib ft).

16. Install the left transmission bracket and mount to the transmission.
  17. Tighten
    Tighten the bolts to 47 N·m (35 Ib ft).

18. Install the fuel line bundle to the transmission.
  19. Install the following electrical connectors:
  20. The transmission connectors.
    The VSS connector.
    The ground.
    The transmission harness in order to Install the transmission clip.
  21. Raise the frame and/or lower the vehicle while locating the engine and transmission mount studs into the frame, harnesses at the frame, and the frame mount bolt holes to the underbody.
  22. Install two front and two rear frame bolts finger tight in order to support the frame.
  23. Remove the frame support fixture.
  24. Support the rear of the frame with an adjustable jack stand.
  25. Remove two rear frame bolts.
  26. Lower the jack stand a few inches in order to gain access to the power steering gear.
  27. Install the power steering pressure hose at the steering gear.
  28. Tighten
    Tighten the fitting to 27 N·m (20 Ib ft).

29. Install the power steering gear electrical connector and power steering gear heat shield:
  30. The ground.
    The transmission harness to the transmission clip.
  31. Raise the jack stand.
  32. Install the six frame mount bolts in the following order:
  33. 21.1. Left side #2 mount bolt into the body.
    21.2. Left side #1 mount bolt into the body.
    21.3. The remaining frame mount bolts.
  34. Install the electrical harness to the front of the frame.
  35. Notice: Do not rotate the steering wheel or move the position of the steering gear once the intermediate shaft is disconnected. This will uncenter the Inflatable Restraint coil in the steering column. If the Inflatable Restraint coil becomes uncentered, it may be damaged during vehicle operation.

36. Install the steering intermediate shaft to the steering gear and install the clamp bolt.
  37. Tighten
    Tighten the bolts to 47 N·m (35 Ib ft).

38. Install the left and right transmission mount nuts and the right engine mount nuts at the frame.
  39. Tighten
    Tighten the nuts to 47 N·m (35 Ib ft).

40. Install the fuel filter bracket to the frame.
  41. Important: Line up the flywheel and converter using the marks you made at disassembly.

42. Install the flywheel to converter bolts.
  43. Tighten
    Tighten the bolts to 60 N·m (44 Ib ft).

Important: When tightening the tie rod end nut, a minimum torque of 45 N-m (33 Ib ft) must be obtained. If 45 N-m (33 Ib ft) is not obtained, inspect for stripped threads. If the threads are satisfactory, replace the tie rod end and knuckle.

44. Tighten the tie rod end nut to 10 N·m (7.5 Ib ft) then an additional 1/3 turn (2 flats).
  45. After tightening the castellated nut to specification, align the slot in the nut to the cotter pin hole by tightening only. Do not loosen the nut for cotter pin installation.

Tighten the tie rod end nut to 100 N·m (74 Ib ft) then an additional 1/3 turn (2 flats).

46. Install the torque converter cover.
  47. Tighten
    Tighten the bolts to 12 N·m (106 Ib in).

48. Install the engine oil pan to transmission bracket.
  49. Tighten
    Tighten the bolts to 47 N·m (35 Ib ft).

50. Install the ABS modulator to the bracket.
  51. Install the A/C splash shield at the frame.
  52. Install both drive axles into the transmission.
  53. Install both drive axles into the hubs and both drive axle nuts.
  54. Tighten
    Tighten the nuts to 145 N·m (110 Ib ft).

Important: When tightening the nut, a minimum torque of 50 N·m (37 Ib ft) must be obtained. If 50 N·m (37 Ib ft) is not obtained, inspect for stripped threads. If threads are satisfactory, replace the ball joint and knuckle. If required, turn the nut up to an additional 60 degrees to allow for installation of the cotter pin.

55. Install both lower ball joints into the steering knuckles and both ball joint nuts and cotter pins.
    1. Tighten the ball joint nut to 10 N·m (84 Ib in) using J 35551 .
    2. Tighten the nut an additional 120 degrees.
  56. Tighten

57. Install both tie rods into the steering knuckles and both tie rod nuts and cotter pins.
  58. Install both stabilizer links to the struts.
  59. Tighten
    Tighten the nuts to 65 N·m (49 Ib ft).

60. Install both front suspension position sensors to the lower control arms.
  61. Install both front wheel opening splash shields.
  62. Install both front tire and wheel assemblies.
  63. Lower the vehicle.
  64. Remove the J 28467-360 .
  65. Install the power steering hose at the auxiliary cooler.
  66. Install the upper bell housing bolts.
  67. Install the transmission cooler pipe fittings at the transmission. Install the fittings finger tight.
  68. Tighten
    Tighten the cooler pipe fittings at transmission to 22 N·m (16 Ib ft).

69. Install the oil sending pipe to the transmission.
  70. Install the torque struts.
  71. Adjust the park/neutral position switch.
  72. Install the range control cable and bracket at the transmission.
  73. Tighten
    Tighten the bracket bolts to 12 N·m (106 Ib in).

74. Adjust the shift control cable.
  75. Install the air cleaner assembly.
  76. Install the headlamp housing upper filler panel. Refer to Filler Panel Replacement - Upper (DeVille) in Body Front End.
  77. Install the radiator support brace. Refer to Brace Replacement - Radiator Support Diagonal in Body Front End.

78. Object Number: 38205  Size: SH

79. Connect the battery negative cable assembly to the battery negative terminal.
  80. Tighten
    Tighten the terminal bolt to 15 N·m (11 lb ft).

81. Bleed the power steering system. Refer to Bleeding the Power Steering System in Steering.
  82. Add DEXRON-III transmission fluid as required.
  83. Check the front suspension alignment, adjust the toe as necessary.
  84. Reset the transmission adapts.
  85. Reset the transmission oil life indicator.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Wow!! I knew it would be complex. But holy cow!! I'm not sure i can handle that. I do have my own walk under pit and tools and have worked on my own vehicles for years but I may shy away from this one..You said 6 hours labor? Is that something i can take to the bank for a repair shop to do it. And I understand I'm asking a lot here but is there any way you could put me in touch with a shop that will do it in 6 hours for hourly rate in or around elizabeth Pa. or pittsburgh area.. Sorry to be such a pain but I'm in dire straits here..Art- thank you so very much!!
Expert:  David H replied 3 years ago.
Most shops will probably try to charge 9.0 hours.The 6.0 hours is what I charge.I don't no any tech's in pa. at all.The actual time the job takes for a good caddy tech is 4 or 5 hours.
David H, Cadillac Technician
Experience: 18 years cadillac dealer.ase master certified.gm master certified
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi again David H. Just wanted to confirm. Is that 6 hours total for pulling the old tranny and putting the new one in ? or for just half the job?
Expert:  David H replied 3 years ago.
That time is to remove and install the transmission.