Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

1997 deville: rack..open air bag loop which my controls..my radio

my cad is a 1997 deville it just broke the rack and the steering wheel spun around. it is now saying by the code that it has a open air bag loop which my controls on the steering wheel like my radio and fan will not work. my information panel will not work right either. could it be the spring in the steering wheel broke?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

either the clock spiral spring broke or the wiring got cut.

you have to remove the steering wheel to access it:

NOTE Rotating the steering wheel so that the access holes on the backside of the steering wheel are at the 12 and 6 O'clock positions will allow tool access and reduce the potential of marring the steering column.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Loosening the module retaining module-

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. . . . requires a Torx® head driver

1. Disable the SIR system.
  2. Loosen the four screws from the back of the steering wheel until they are disengaged from the inflator module.
  3. Remove the inflatable restraint steering wheel module form the steering wheel.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Gently disengage the module from the wheel

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. The fasteners on the back of the module

1. Disconnect the horn contact by pushing slightly and twisting counterclockwise.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Remove the Connector Position Assurance (CPA) clip

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Detach the module electrical connector

1. Unplug the connector position assurance (CPA) and coil assembly connector from the inflator module.
  2. Remove the steering column shaft nut.
  3. Using the special tool J 1859-03, pull the steering wheel.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. The left and right side of the steering column

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. View of the horn lead (A) and inflator module electrical connector (B)-typical view

To install:

1. Feed the coil assembly lead through slot in the steering wheel.
  2. Attach the steering wheel to the column shaft in the proper position.
  3. Tighten the column shaft nut to 30 ft. lbs. (41 Nm).
  4. Ensure the ignition switch is in the OFF position.
  5. Attach the horn contact to the steering column.
  6. Connect the coil assembly and the CPA to the inflator module.
  7. Install the inflator module to the steering wheel securing it with the four screws.
  8. Align the inflatable restraint steering wheel module to the steering wheel taking precautions so that no wires at the back of the inflator module get pinched during assembly. Tighten the bolts to 27 inch lbs. (3 Nm).
  9. Enable the SIR system.
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

if coil assembly needs to be replaced, here is how to install the new one and center it:

WARNING The SIR coil assembly wires must be kept tight with no slack while installing the SIR coil assembly. Failure to do so may cause wires to be kinked near the shaft lock area and cut when the steering wheel is turned.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Routing the coil assembly wires

1. Ensure that coil assembly hub is centered.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Centering the coil assembly

1. Pull the wire tight while positioning the SIR coil to the steering shaft.
  2. Align the opening in the coil with the horn tower and "locating bump" between the two tabs on the housing cover.
  3. Seat the coil assembly into the steering column. Attach the coil assembly retaining ring. Ensure the ring is firmly seated in the groove on the shaft.

WARNING Gently pull the lower coil assembly, turn signal and pivot and pulse wires t remove any wire kinks that may be inside the steering column assembly. Failure to do so may cause damage to the wire harness.
  1. Install the wiring protector.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
is there a way i can clear the air bag light off of it so i can see my instument panel before replacing the clock spring if that is what it is?
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

you can disconnect the battery for 10 minutes and then re-connect. this resets all the computers and erases codes. If the air bag light comes right back on, then it is indeed a hard fault that will require repair before the airbag light will turn off.