Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years experience
2947720

Cadillac Deville I have a 1987 deville and the cooling temp

Customer Question

I have a 1987 deville and the "cooling temp fan" light comes on when I turn the A/C on after a few minutes when i am driving around town if I go out on the highway it does not turn on of if it does it will turn off in one minute. so it only comes on around town, what is the problem , I disconnected the cooling fan and then the light does not come on, by nor does the cooling fan?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

It sounds like the condenser fan may be drawing too much current, (there was a service bulletin on that) but you will want to see if there are any trouble codes stored.

graphic

To enter diagnostic mode, turn ignition On, then depress Off and Warmer buttons on the Climate Control Panel (CCP), Fig. 4. Hold buttons until all display panel segments illuminate, indicating beginning of diagnostic readout. The two display panels must be illuminated to ensure all segments are operating. Do not attempt diagnosis unless all segments appear, as a misdiagnosis could result. If any segments are inoperative, the display panel must be replaced.

SUBJECT: CODE F41 AND COOLING FAN FAULT LIGHT ON OR CODE B441 AND "COOLING FAN FAULT" MESSAGE APPEAR INTERMITTENTLY

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The a/c does work and is not impaired by the warning light appearing , my question is is it being causesd by a faultly cooling fan relay or a cooling fan problem? as i said if i switch to the Economy mode ( no A/c) the light goes off, if I disconnect the cooling fan ( remove the electrical line in) the light will not come on the a/c works but ofcourse the cooling fan will not operate. Also as I said the light will go off when the car is running at highway speed or up above tpypical community around town speeds

any more suggestions for me?

Expert:  Jerry replied 5 years ago.

There has been a service bulletin for that type of concern. Here is what it states.

Engine - Intermittent Cooling System Codes
Bulletin No. T 88-25
File in Group 8
Number 66
Corp. Ref. No. 718102
Date Sept. '87
MODELS AFFECTED: 1985-1987 DE VILLES AND FLEETWOODS 1986-1987 ELDORADOS AND SEVILLES 1987 ALLANTE

Some 1985-1987 De Villes and Fleetwoods may have a condition of an intermittent cooling fan fault light on and a code F41. Some 1986-1987 Eldorados, Sevilles and Allantes may have a condition of an intermittent "Cooling Fan Fault" message on the CCDIC and a code B441. If these conditions occur, and the diagnostic tree in the Service Manual does not lead to the cause of this condition, use the following diagnosis.

Step 1 - Check for the proper fan control module. 1985 De Villes and Fleetwoods should have a fan module with part number(NNN) NNN-NNNNimprinted on the black plastic portion of the case. All 1986 and 1987 vehicles should have a fan module part number(NNN) NNN-NNNNor(NNN) NNN-NNNN

Step 2 - Check the fan control module ground connection near the starter. A loose or dirty ground connection near the starter may cause a false code F41 or B441 to set.

Step 3 - Check the cooling fan motors for excessive amperage draw. Disconnect the cooling fan module signal connector (circuits 790 and 791). Using an in-line or inductive ammeter with a 50 amp or lower full scale reading, measure the amperage draw of each fan motor while the fans are overridden at full speed. Use of an ammeter with a 50 amp or lower full scale reading will help ensure a reliable amperage reading. Consult the chart below to determine if a cooling fan motor is drawing excessive current:

Maximum Acceptable Cooling Fan Draw at Room Temperature

Model Year - Car Line Small Cooling Fan Large Cooling Fan 1985 De Ville and Fleetwood 13 amps 13 amps
1986 De Ville, Fleetwood, Eldorado,                    13amps                     13amps
and Seville
1987 De Ville and Fleetwood 8 amps 14.5 amps
1987 Eldorado, Seville and Allantes                    13 amps                   13 amps

If a cooling fan is found to exceed the maximum acceptable cooling fan draw, it should be replaced.

For warranty purposes, use Labor Operation J3400 at:

.3 hours for one fan .4 hour for both fans on De Villes .6 hour for both fans on Eldorados and Sevilles

Expert:  Jerry replied 5 years ago.

Please don’t forget to hit the accept button though, that is the only way we get paid, thanks.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

any more suggestions for me?
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 years ago.
I would almost bet that it is the cooling fan motor drawing too much current but it is a good idea to check it though.