Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), Cadillac Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

escalade: engine shuts down and dash reads REDUCED POWER..restart

While driving, engine shuts down and dash reads "REDUCED POWER" I pullover and shut engine off, restart, all is well... this has happened 6 times in past month. 6.0 vortec. Escalade
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Gm Tech (Cam) replied 3 years ago.

Gm Tech (Cam) :

Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.

Gm Tech (Cam) :

These years of trucks with the electric throttle have a couple of very common issues. First and in my experience most common is the ground wire. THe ground runs from the rear harness behind the top of the engine to the rear of the left cylinder head. It is attached at the same bolt as the ground strap at the firewall. I have always been able to find this by pulling on the black wire and see if it gives. The fault has been a conductor broken in the insulation at the crimp. The second issue is the wiring near the throttle body. The wiring tends to break a few inches from the connector. check these out and see. Another common issue is the wiring near the throttle body itself. There are some wires there that can break inside the insulation and cause this. Check the wiring carefully near the throttle and about 6" back.

Customer:

The autozone "definition" stated TAC failure??? What is the TAC?

Gm Tech (Cam) :

TAC=Throttle Actuator

Gm Tech (Cam) :

These have an electronic throttle as I said. Check the items closely that I mentioned and that has a good chance of finding the issue.

Customer:

I have checked wires.... removed all connections and sprayed electrical cleaner in the terminals. ( I have not checked the ground wire)

Gm Tech (Cam) :

Check that gorund wire. it is the most common one I have found, second only to the wires near the throttle and that you need to pull on the wirs to be sure.

Customer:

Where is the Throttle actuator??? should i replace it, and the throttle position sensor???

Gm Tech (Cam) :

The throttle actuator is the throttle body and the throttle sensor is inside of that assembly.

Customer:

i will check the ground

Customer:

thx

Gm Tech (Cam), Cadillac Mechanic
Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.