Pete, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  17 years Cadillac experience as a technician.
14928985

P0741-TCC stuck off. What do I need to do to fix this problem?

1999 Cadillac Eldorado
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

Hi.

Usually this is an indication that the torque converter solenoid is stuck off and this keeps the torque converter from locking up in final drive and or cruising speeds.

The most common fault is the solenoid itself in the transmission fails and causes this code to set.It can be driven for a short amount of time like this but I do recommend having it repaired at some point as it prolongs the life of the transmission and gives you better fuel economy.

This solenoid can cost around $100 and 8 hours labor to have it replaced as the transmission has to be lowered down in order to access and replace this solenoid as this is located on the drivers side of the transmission inside the transmission.

Most likely this is what your vehicle needs to correct this problem here.

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Pete,

I did see TCC solenoid failure as a possible cause also

-Open or Short Circuit condition

-Blocked Passage to Transmission

-Check Transmission Range Switch

Do all of these require the transmission be lowered to be repaired. Are these repairs considered a transmission rebuild?

usually it is the TCC solenoid that fails and causes this,this is an electrical solenoid in the transmission.The transmission usually doesn't require a rebuild to correct this problem.

It can be a blockage in the transmission valve body as well or in the solenoid causing this.In some cases just having the transmission fluid flushed will correct this problem.You can start here as it would be the cheapest step and most shops have a flush machine to do this.

If this doesn't correct this problem then the system would have to be tested to verify the solenoid has failed,if the TCC does need replaced or the valve body or similar then the transmission would have to be lowered to do this.

But usually this doesn't indicate a transmission needing rebuilt or even replaced.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you Pete. I will go forward with having the transmission flushed first. If that does not fix the problem then I'll have the solenoid replaced. About how much would you say a reputable transmission shop would charge?

I am clicking on accepting your answer. Thank you.

The flush may correct this problem,if it doesn't then I would have the system tested to make sure the solenoid is receiving the signal to turn on or switch on.If the solenoid needs replaced it can run around $100 for the part and about 8 hours labor.

Diagnostic testing can cost anywhere from 1 hour to more then 3 hours depending on what needs done.