Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), Cadillac Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

HOW DO YOU GET TO THE TOP BOLTS ON A TRANSMISSION IN A 1998 DEVILLE?

Gm Tech (Cam) :

Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.

Gm Tech (Cam) :

With the air filter housing out you can use an extension and 18mm socket to get at the bolts. There is just enough room ot get them out with out removing the other parts.

Customer:

the electric harness is in the way

Gm Tech (Cam) :

Move the harness out of the way.

Customer:

how?

Gm Tech (Cam) :

Unhook the ends and remove the clips to move it out of the way

Customer:

ok how do i get to the bolts in back?

Gm Tech (Cam) :

A wrap of electrical tape on the head of the bolt to hold it in the socket

Customer:

cant see them

Gm Tech (Cam) :

They are there. HArd to see, use a small mirror to see from the end.

Customer:

cant reach my hand in the space.

Gm Tech (Cam) :

Full Size Image

Customer:

the waet jacket makes it to tight

Customer:

water jacket i meant

Customer:

cant reach firewall to close. do i have to drop the frame first?

Customer:

r you still therr?

Customer:

need more help not satified.

Customer:

hi please describe removal of bolts again unable to with current directions

Customer:

cam

Gm Tech (Cam) :

Sorry I had to run out and get my son from school.

Gm Tech (Cam) :

Yes you drop this out the very bottom, but honestly, the easiest way is to drop the engine, transmission and and subframe as an assembly.

Customer:

do i drop it before i remove the bolts from the houseing? i cant seem to fit anything in the top or back to get to the housing bolts?

Gm Tech (Cam) : Let me ask you this, are you working on a hoist or on the ground?
Gm Tech (Cam) : What tools to you have?
Customer:

im on the ground i do have a cherry picker type engine hoist. just wrenches and sockets. do i need anythingelse?

Gm Tech (Cam) : Oh boy, that will be difficult.
Gm Tech (Cam) : Because of the size of that beast and the way it comes out, you not only need to support engine but move it sideways to get the starter to clear the bell housing. What repair are you looking to do?
Customer:

change my transmission

Gm Tech (Cam) : Ok, do you have the means to lift the front of the car and roll it back with your lift?
Gm Tech (Cam) : to give you an idea, the first time I dropped the transmission out of one of these took me 6 hours to get it out with a house.
Gm Tech (Cam) : hoist not a house, sorry.
Gm Tech (Cam) : Or if you have a platform that you can set the engine, transmission and subframe on then lift the car and roll the engine/transmission assembly out.
Customer:

you have to take the whole engine out

Gm Tech (Cam) : No, you can do it without, but only if you get the whole car in the air.
Gm Tech (Cam) : Its just that dropping the whole assembly is far easier than taking only the transmisison out.
Customer:

ok i have the car in the air. if i drop the frame what about the wires are they all hooked to the frame?

Customer:

will i be able to work on the top bolt to free the trans.?

Gm Tech (Cam) : Thats easy,, the fuse block is the junction for all those, you pull the fuse block out and the major harness will lay over the engine.
Gm Tech (Cam) : the brake master cylinder you drop it and leave it with the car.
Gm Tech (Cam) : unhook the exhaust fromt eh rear manifold,
Gm Tech (Cam) : remove the steering shaft into the rack and pinion.
Gm Tech (Cam) : remove the fuel and evap lines.
Gm Tech (Cam) : there are 2 brake lines with unions on the right rear of the sub frame, take thosse apart and seal them
Gm Tech (Cam) : Take the brake and abs wiring that is attached under the wheel wells off so it says with the frame and remove the 3 bolts at the ttop of the strut.
Gm Tech (Cam) : make sure you mark the subframe to teh body.
Gm Tech (Cam) : drain teh coolant and unhook it and the transmission cooler lines to the rad.
Gm Tech (Cam) : Leave the AC compressor with the car so take it off and work it out
Gm Tech (Cam) : then do a once over to make sure you got all the bolts, mounts on so on including major battery and ground cables then lower the car so the front sits on blocks on the frame then remove the bolts and carefully lift the car.
Gm Tech (Cam) : Last time I did this, it took 4 hours to pull the transmission out, drop the side cover off and change the solenoids and put the whole thing back to gather.
Customer:

there is no way to get to the top bolts without dropping the whole engine?

Gm Tech (Cam) : No, that is not what I am saying, but based on your setup and tools you will not be able to work with the car in your driveway like this.
Customer:

if i could take them out i could drop the trans and support the motor.

Customer:

oh do i need special tools?

Gm Tech (Cam) : Ok, then you can do that, and there is enough room but you need to move the harness a bit. It is tough but it is possible
Gm Tech (Cam) : I used a deep 18mm socket and extension.
Customer:

you took off the bolts form the top?

Gm Tech (Cam) :

yes, no other way to get the trnasmission out.

Customer:

how do i get the fuel lines on the plentum off?

Customer:

metal 2 together

Customer:

sorry to take up so much of your time,just stuck between rock and hard place

Gm Tech (Cam) :

There is a special tool that you can get from any part store to release them.

Customer:

does this tool release them at the same time? i have a tool it does one at a time. its not working maybe im doung something wrong

Gm Tech (Cam) :

Each line is a different size and it only does one at a time. YOu need to press it together, then insert the tool and rotate it a bit then pull.

Customer:

thans ill try that. is there anyway for me to get you back,when i need you?

Customer:

i like you and will pay but i want to chat with you. your very good!

Gm Tech (Cam) :

Bookmark this page so you can easily navigate back to it, and so you know, you can reply at any time for follow up information regarding this issue, even after you accept my answer and I will reply.

Customer:

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX later im sure. thanks once agin.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i need help putting the trans back in the car.
OK, tell me exactly what is in, out,and all that.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I've got the trans hiiked to the motor. I cant remember the way the little bar like suports go,have the one that bolts to theengine by the manifold. need diagram to see how heatshroud and thins behind it conect.just want to put all back correctly.

graphic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i need more detail these r the ones easily seen i need the one behind these. any thing showing the mounts on all sides of the trans.
Unfortunatly there are few pictures in these.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok what about the small like arms can you tell me where they go? i also have a small plate like brackett just can't remeber where it goes.
Does the plate have 4 holes?
If so that goes under the transmission between the oil pan and the transmission.
the bars, I suspect those are from the side to the block.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no another easy one.this one hashas three wholes,two wholes on one side close together faceing the same way the other one is at the end of slight curve facing down
can you post a picture ofit?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i can take a pic with phone and send to email or phone
It must be here or to a site like mediafire as I cannot give you an email address.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

how can i do that is there an email address?

I am not sure then, you need to get it on the PC as I cannot send you any of my personal info.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hi I need to see a pic of the motor set up of a 1996 buick park ave.I took out the old motor but the new one has stuff missing need to see where every thing is located.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i have a question about aXXXXXI have taken an engine from a 1999 p.a.and im putting it in the 1996. i need to see how the alternators hook up. i need a diagram of a 1996 pa and 1999.
THe show a very generic picture of the alternator on these, I don;t think it will be of much value.
graphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What about aview of the power sterring pump?
graphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i need to know what i can do to check to see why my fans arent comming on