Pete, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  17 years Cadillac experience as a technician.
14928985

2009 Cadillac: Traction Control..the throttle body and reset to codes

I have a 2009 Cadillac CTS. The Traction Control and Power Reduced messages came on, and the car wouldn't drive over 45 mph. Went to the dealer and it was Throttle Position Sensor 2. They cleaned the throttle body and reset to codes. Worked fine for a week, but then the same issue came back. They now say the need to change the whole Throttle Body Assembly for $850 parts and labor.

Does this make sense? Is it really the case that you can just change the throttle or the sensor, but have to change the whole assembly. Didn't these individual parts used to cost $40?

Thanks for the help.
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

Hi.

Since the cleaning didn't work and I am assuming they have checked and verified the wiring to the throttle body and throttle position sensor are o.k. then most likely the throttle body is at fault and needs replaced to correct this condition.

On this vehicle the throttle sensor comes attached and with the throttle body as a unit.This is why it needs replaced together like this to fix this condition.

The cost I have here is $380.00 for the throttle body and a little over an hours labor to have it replaced.There may be extra time to learn in the new throttle body and for any updated programming that is needed.Some dealers will also mark up the cost of the part and can also charge a hazardous waste charge as well.

So it can come close to what you have listed here for parts and labor to correct this problem.This seems to be a common failure on allot of the newer electronic throttle bodies,either the cleaning or wiring repair will fix it and if these are o.k. then the most likely cause is the throttle body itself.

I would ask to see if they guarantee this repair to fix it nd if it doesn't will they reimburse you the costs for the repair or cover the costs of the next repair to fix it right.

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Pete,

Thanks for getting back so quickly.

can u tell me what "learning" means. Is it time consuming?

There is a throttle learn that has to be performed when the throttle body is replaced.

This requires turning on and off the ignition and waiting in between for several seconds to learn in the new throttle body.

This shouldn't take more then 10 minutes to complete if that even.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Pete,

Thanks for your help. One last question, if I can:

Is this a DIY job? Or do you need a Tech 2 to do it? I could definitely handle the install, I am just worried about the electronics.

I am checking GM Parts Direct for the Throttle Body Assembly now.

Thanks,

Craig
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Pete,

I really appreciate the help. I promise I am going to accept and pay :-). This is the first time I used this service and I think it's great!!

Here's the last question, I promise. I just got a call back from the dealer and here's the breakdown:

Parts: $281
Tax: $24.58
Labor: $460

They claim that they have to reprogram PO 221, PO 242, and CO 561. Does this seem reasonable. It is the Cadillac dealer, and they say they it will be about 3.5 to 4 hours labor, but they are quoting for the job.

Does reprogramming really take 3.5 to 4 hours?

You could definitely do this yourself.

Just disconnect the connectors on the throttle body,then remove the four bolts that hold it on and then replace the throttle body with the new one,replace any seals or gaskets as well.

Here is the learn in process:

Turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds.Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF for 60 seconds.Turn OFF the ignition.Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.

Then it should be learned in from here.

The part quote I have is the same,I had a different model loaded accidentally but I come up with $282 for the throttle body.

The learn in is fast,less then 5 minutes.If any programming needs done this would have to be done by the dealer using their Tech 2 and their computer.

The repair doest call for any programming but there may be some that the dealer wants to do,this should only take an hours labor charge if this is what they want to do and shouldn't cost that much extra.