Pete, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  17 years Cadillac experience as a technician.
14928985

Cadillac CTS I have a Caddillac CTS 2004 6-disc CD changer,

Customer Question

I have a Caddillac CTS 2004 6-disc CD changer, and it says CD MECHANICAL ERROR.
I cannot get the CD's to eject. All the 6 slots are filled with CD's, what can I do??
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Pete replied 5 years ago.
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

Hi.

I just need a little more info to assist better.

Are any of the cd's that are in the changer after market burned cd's with labels on them?

Is this a factory cd changer in this vehicle?

Let me know so we can continue,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This is a factory CD changer in the car. The CD's were store bought, no after market CD's...thanks.
Expert:  Pete replied 5 years ago.
O.k.

Just wanted to make sure this is a factory unit and that no after market labeled cd's were used as allot of cd changers can jam like this with the after market label's put on as they can be thicker then store bought.

From what you have described here and the message you are receiving this does sound like an internal mechanical fault in the cd changer itself.The ejecting mechanism is jammed and is causing the cd's to not eject.

I don't find any bulletins on this concern with the cd's being stuck like this.

There is a bulletin out to reprogram the radio for cd's not playing properly but most likely this wont fix this concern here.

What has to be done from here since this is a factory unit is it has to be removed and sent in for repair by a GM dealer to their authorized repair facility.They will repair this problem or replace the cd changer if it is not repairable and remove your discs and send them back to you.

The charge for this varies depending on your location and dealer pricing.In some cases this can cost up around $300 for this repair or replacement.

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There is nothing I can try before going to the dealer? I am not satisfied with the answer. That would be my last resort on going to a dealer for a fix. I realized that, before I sent the question.
Expert:  Pete replied 5 years ago.
One thing you can try yourself is to try resetting this cd changer by removing power to it.

To do this locate the fuses in the rear fuse box labeled AUDIO and AMP,one of these here should power this cd changer,remove the fuses for a few minutes and then reinstall them and see if the cd changer resets and then ejects the cd's.

If this doesn't work then most likely it will have to be repaired or replaced.You can also remove the cd changer if wanted and unplug power this way so the radio doesn't become reset from pulling the fuses.

Thanks Pete!