Pete, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  17 years Cadillac experience as a technician.
14928985

P1825 2007 CTS I have 2 problems 1st one is car does not shift right has a hard shift

P1825 2007 CTS I have 2 problems 1st one is car does not shift right has a hard shift on deceleration 2nd key is stuck in ignition.
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

Hi.

The problem you have listed here may be due to an internal failure in the electronic ignition switch.

The electronic ignition switch can fail and cause a lack of power to transmission electrical components which can cause shifting concerns and also can cause the key to become stuck in the ignition cylinder due to it not powering up the key release.

This can be a fairly common problem on allot of GM vehicles as I have had to replace quite a few ignition switches before to correct concerns like this.

The ignition switch outputs need tested to determine if for sure this is what is at fault,then replaced if needed.Most likely this is what is causing this failure here.

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

hmmm after I pull the negative battery terminal and wait 10 seconds and put it back on the key comes right out ??? I dont think it's the key switch and the P1825 codes refers to the IMS ??

The 1825 code does refer to the transmission manual shift switch assembly in the transmission.

This does receive voltage from the engine control module.

When you disconnect the battery cable and then reconnect it you are resetting electrical components.

The ignition switch is common to cause this problem but would have to be tested to be sure.

If you want I can opt out and put this question back on the list for other experts to see if they can assist any better.

Let me know,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Pete, you dont have to opt out I am just trying to talk through what you said and what I know and what I have tried. What is needed to test the switch ???

Had a second thought here on this,

The transmission switch indicates electronically what gear the transmission is shifted into on this vehicle.

This is the code that is set for this switch in the transmission.

The key is prevented from being turned all the way off and removed if the switch in the transmission tells the computer it is still in gear even though you had shifted it to park the electronic switch will say it is not thus keeping the key from turning off.

I think you have a faulty transmission manual shift switch in the transmission that is causing this and not the ignition switch.
I apologize for the confusion but did more research and found these two problems here are related to this switch being faulty.

My data doesn't show me how much this switch is or the labor to replace it but from what is described here I think this is what is at fault and needs replaced.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Pete,

do you know the location of the IMS is it really internal or is it mounted out side on the trans do you have any documentaion that explains the RR on it

I don't have any documentation I can post here due to copy right laws.

it does say that it is attached to the transmission valve body inside the transmission.The transmission pan would have to be removed to access this switch,it looks like it is located on the drivers side of the transmission valve body.The valve body is the component that the transmission filter pushes into.

The valve body may have to be lowered to access this switch but from what I see and can tell it is on the transmission valve body when the pan is removed it should be visible on the drivers side of the transmission.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I am going to go pull the pan and see what it looks like I will leave this ticket open until after I pull the pan to make sure I have no more ??? on this error code then I will accept you answer. Thanks Don

Sounds good,sometimes cleaning off this switch with cleaner like brake cleaner will make it operational again as sometimes debris can cause this problem.

Also so you know now and in the future you can accept when you are satisfied and at anytime before or after the accept you can come back to this post to discuss further or any other question you have here.

Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
hey Pete I hooked the scan tool up,I found some documentaion that had a table that gave the IMS position in each gear like park would be LHHL and drive would be HLLH the reading from the switch does not even come close to what is on documentaion would this lead you to replace the IMS or is there something else in play that I am missing.
That is a great way to check the switch and is usually one of the ways we check the switches signals is by viewing the data with a scan tool.

Since these are off from what they should be then the switch is faulty and most likely needs replaced.

Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
got a switch on order ....... ??? if the switch is bad and I agree with your opinion, but !!!! if the switch is not giving the right signal back the the TCM why does it not act more speratic than it is ???
The switch itself may be intermittent and causing this problem so it can act up like this being intermittent or at fault at all times,just depends on the signal from the switch itself.

Let me know how it turns out once you have it replaced.

Thanks Pete!