Pete, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  17 years Cadillac experience as a technician.

Security System Threat On A Cadillac Deville.

The Cadillac Deville won't start because of a "security system threat." The message tells me to remove my key from the ignition and wait three minutes - then I get a message to "start car." I have tried this 3 or 4 times, but each time it still will not start and goes back trough the whole 3-minute wait message again.

Is there anything I can do?

Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Pete replied 5 years ago.

From what you have described here this sounds like a security fault in the vehicle to where the ignition key isn't being read. Most commonly the ignition cylinder fails that reads the key and needs replaced as well as new keys purchased.

The system will have to be diagnosed as to what the fault is by reading out the failure codes then diagnosing the component at fault. Most shops and dealers can do this for you. Unfortunately there isn't a quick bypass or fix for this.

There is a by pass kit that can be installed to eliminate the theft system on this vehicle completely for the starting issue here.This will eliminate any starting problems you may have in the future as well. The kit can usually cost around $150 and can be installed easily with the instructions it comes with in your vehicle.

Below is the website,click on the Pro Vats Bypass to order a kit for your vehicle.

Other then this the fault would have to be diagnosed and then repaired. Most likely the cylinder wires have broke off and the cylinder would have to be replaced.These wires feed the key signal to the computer to allow the vehicle to start.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

So, there is nothing else I could try to do to get home from work to outsmart the system until I can get it home??

Expert:  Pete replied 5 years ago.

If you had a second key you could try it if the key you have now is faulty then it would cause this problem.

In most cases it usually isn't the key at fault,usually it is the cylinder at fault as the wires can break off of them and then the key signal cant be sent to start the vehicle.

In some rare cases tilting the steering wheel one position at a time up or down then trying to start it would reconnect the broken wires but in most cases this wont work, it is worth a shot though. Colder weather seems to make these wires more brittle and can break off easier.

Thanks Pete!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I said a little prayer and just went out and tried again and it started right away!!

This means I can go home!

Thank you Pete and thank you Lord. :)

Expert:  Pete replied 5 years ago.

That is good to hear.

Chances are it may fail again and may be related to the wiring at the lock cylinder.
It can break off and disconnect but may be close enough to reconnect if the steering is bumped just right.

You will be able to drive home with no stalling issues here. If it does fail again it will be one of the next times you go to start it again.

Let me know if you need anything else.