David H
David H, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  18 years cadillac dealer.ase master certified.gm master certified
19861837

Cadillac CTS change hid headlight on 2004 cadillac cts

Customer Question

change hid headlight on 2004 cadillac cts
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  David H replied 3 years ago.

To replace the headlamp requires removal of the front bumper fascia.Here are the replacement procedures.

Headlamp Assembly or Headlamp Bulb and/or Cornering, Side marker, Park, Turn Signal Bulb Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle .
    Object Number: 814399  Size: SH

2. Remove the push-pin retainers on the air deflector to allow access to fascia extension retainers.
  3. Open the hood.
  4. Remove the push-pin retainers that secure the appropriate side of the grille and fascia to the upper tie bar.
  5. Remove the first push-pin retainer past the center in order to allow the grille to flex.
    Object Number: 699957  Size: SH

6. Remove the front fascia extension. Refer to Front Bumper Fascia Extension Replacement.
    Object Number: 699966  Size: SH

7. Remove the bolt (2) that secures the front fascia to the fender.
  8. Loosen the bolt (1) that attach's the front fascia to the fender.
  9. Pull the front fascia forward to align the fascia studs with enlarged portion of the hole within the key slot in the fender.
  10. Gently pull the front fascia downward to disengage it from the front fender.
    Object Number: 699968  Size: SH

11. Remove the 3 bolts that secure the headlamp to the vehicle.
  12. Disengage headlamp washer hose, if equipped.
    Object Number: 723483  Size: SH

Important: A high amount of force is necessary to perform the next step.

13. Pull the headlamp straight forward to disengage the headlamp ball stud from the fender socket.
  14. Reach behind the headlamp to disconnect the headlamp electrical connector.
  15. Pull the top part of the front fascia and grille assembly forward only far enough to remove the headlamp assembly from the vehicle.
  16. Remove the headlamp assembly from the vehicle.
  17. Remove the headlamp bulb cover from the headlamp assembly.

Caution: Halogen bulbs contain gas under pressure. Handling a bulb improperly could cause it to shatter into flying glass fragments. To help avoid personal injury:

Turn off the lamp switch and allow the bulb to cool before changing the bulb.
    Leave the lamp switch OFF until the bulb change is complete.
    Always wear eye protection when changing a halogen bulb.
    Handle the bulb only by its base. Avoid touching the glass.
    Keep dirt and moisture off the bulb.
    Properly dispose of the used bulb.
    Keep halogen bulbs out of the reach of children.

18. Remove the headlamp bulb from the headlamp assembly.

Installation Procedure

1. Install the bulb to the headlamp assembly.
  2. Install the headlamp bulb cover to the headlamp assembly.
  3. Install the headlamp assembly.
    Object Number: 723483  Size: SH

4. Pull the top of the front fascia and grille forward to install the headlamp to the vehicle.
  5. Install the headlamp assembly to the vehicle.
  6. Reach behind the headlamp assembly to connect the headlamp electrical connectors.
    Object Number: 699991  Size: SH

Important: It will take a high amount of force to perform the next step.

7. Press headlamp assembly rearward to engage the headlamp ball stud (1) into the fender socket. Install the 3 bolts to secure the headlamp to the vehicle.
  8. Tighten
    Tighten the bolts to 6 N·m (53 lb in).

Object Number: 699966  Size: SH

9. Lift the fascia upward in order to insert the fascia studs into the fender key slots.
  10. Slide the fascia rearward to attach the fascia to the fender.
  11. Install the bolt (1, 2) to secure the fascia to the fender.

Tighten
    Tighten the bolts to 9 N·m (80 lb in).

12. Install the front fascia extension to the vehicle. Refer to Front Bumper Fascia Extension Replacement .
    Object Number: 814399  Size: SH

13. Install the push-pin retainers to secure the upper portion of the front fascia and grille to the upper tie bar.
  14. Close the hood.
  15. Raise and support vehicle.
    Object Number: 699902  Size: SH

16. Position the air deflector to the vehicle.
  17. Install the push-pin retainers to secure the air deflector to the vehicle.
  18. Lower the vehicle.