John, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE CERTIFICATIONS A1-A8 & L1 / 40 YEARS AUTOMOTIVE EXPERIENCE

Cadillac Seville STS I am changing brake pads and rotors on

I am changing brake pads and rotors on a 98 Cadillac STS. I have the rotor and pads changed on one side, but the cylinder in the calipher will not compress. Is there a secret to doing this. I can't squeeze the cylinder into the calipher no matter what I try
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

Hello & Welcome to JA,

front or rear brakes ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
rear brakes
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

Yes,there is a special to wind the pistons back in the caliper. Turn clockwise as you apply pressure on the piston.

The electronic brake pad wear sensors must be replaced every time the brake pads are replaced. New brake pad wear sensors are included with GM replacement brake pad kits.

Object Number: 105774  Size: SH

1. Retract the caliper piston into the caliper bore. Use a spanner type wrench and turn the piston clockwise until it bottoms out fully in the caliper and align the piston.
    Object Number: 105773  Size: SH

2. Install the brake pad retainers (1) into the caliper anchor bracket (5).
  3. Snap the brake pad wear sensor into the inboard brake pad.
  4. Install the inboard (2) and outboard (3) brake pads into the caliper anchor bracket. Route the wear sensor wire through the caliper and support properly to be sure the wire will lay in its proper location when the caliper is installed.
    Object Number: 105283  Size: SH

Important: The caliper piston boot must lay flat. Make sure convolutions are tucked into place.

5. Use a small plastic or wooden tool to lift the inner edge of the boot next to the piston, and press out any trapped air.
    Object Number: 105287  Size: SH

6. Pivot the caliper down over the brake pads and into the anchor bracket. Be sure that the wear sensor wiring is properly routed and clipped in its original location.
    Object Number: 105290  Size: SH

7. Insert the lower caliper slide pin.

Tighten
    Tighten the caliper slide pin to 85 N·m (63 lb ft).

Object Number: 339395  Size: SH

8. Connect the wear sensor connector to the vehicle wire harness.
    Object Number: 106206  Size: SH

9. Connect the park brake cable to the brake caliper.
  10. Install the tire and wheel assembly. Lower the vehicle. Adjust the brake fluid level.
  11. Start the vehicle and apply approximately 778 N (175 lb) of force three times to the brake pedal to seat the brake caliper piston and brake pads. This helps to seat the brake caliper and pads.
  12. Recheck the brake fluid level.
  13. Burnish the pads and rotors.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
John can I use any other tool besides a spanner type wrench. Not quite sure what this is. Also what is the electronic brake wear sensor? I have not found one in the box.
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

The electronic wear sensor is a sensor with a wiring harness that fits in the brake pad & wears as the pad does ,not all Cadillacs have them.

The spanner wrench or similar tool should be used to turn the brake piston.

John, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE CERTIFICATIONS A1-A8 & L1 / 40 YEARS AUTOMOTIVE EXPERIENCE