Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

Where is the thermostat located on a northstar engine?

where is the thermostat located on a northstar engine?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 6 years ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX thermo is in the lower hose, where it attaches to the block, i will post a picture of it below,Tim
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 6 years ago.
graphic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks tim. I don't think it's opening. I have replaced the coolant in the car, and when I did that it overheated. Dont understand how that happened. The head gasket was replaced 500 miles ago, but the guy that did it only had enough coolant to protect it down to about 20 F. I am very concerned that when it got hot that it may have blown the head gasket again. I also don't know if he replaced the head bolts or put helicoils in the holes before remounting the head. I'll pull the thermostat tomorrow. What temp should I put in the car. I live in south Ga, so it gets pretty hot down here in the summer. Also, how much coolant should I drain before pulling the hose off the housing?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 6 years ago.
you need a 195 degree thermostat in this, any cooler and the computer wont work correctly, when warm the computer must see 195 dgrees to properly control the fuel mixture, drain about 2 gallons out before removing the thermo stat,Tim