Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

1998 Eldorado: The service engine soon light is

The "service engine soon" light is on, and the only codes displaying are: B1341, IRC 1771 and MSM codes B1656, 2119 & 2120. They are all in "history" - doesn't that mean they aren't current problems?

This is a 1998 Eldorado
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Ask follow up questions, thanks.

Are you sure it actually says "service engine soon" and not something else? When this light comes on it shoudl store a P code.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Dan, on these older Caddies (I have a1997 Seville and this 1998 Eldo) the bright yellow "service engine soon" light comes on for every little thing. Once, it told me the memory module that remembers how I like the lumbar support had failed! Obviously, that has nothing to do with the engine. But another time, it meant I needed a new fuel pump. It reminds my of the story of the boy who cried wolf. It's really tempting to just ignore it, but sometimes its important.

This time, I don't know what any of the codes mean. Also, they are all stored in history, so I'm confused about why the light is on now.
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

If you reset the codes does the light come on right away?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How do I reset the codes?
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
The same way you check them......after it checks all of the codes it should give you a option to reset all of them. I'm assuming you checked the codes with the on-board diagnostic option through the dash/heater control
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What buttons do I push to reset the codes? Does pushing it once reset all of them?
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

Here is a link that explaiins how to check/reset codes.....So reset codes then start vehicle and write down the codes that come back right away......Then drive vehicle until check engine light comes on, check codes again and let me know what they are. Thanks.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The article describes buttons I don't have! It was useful, though. Now I know MSM realtes to seats and IRC is the radio. Gotta wonder why Cadillac thinks those things have anything to do with the engine.

So, is it safe to assume from these codes that there is nothing I have to be worried about?
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

If vehicle runs good then its likely something minor but I cant say what until I know the code. You can have the code checked and reset for free at your local parts store. Your vehicle you might not be able to check codes on dash......If you could take a picture of your dash/heat assembly I could help. There are two different ways for this vehicle if you look in that article. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

With this vehicle you should be able to check codes by press/holding off and warmer or off and passenger side warmer. Then press high/low to toggle through options. Let me know if you get the code. Thanks.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yeah, that's how I get it to display. But after it runs through them all, it doesn't ask if I want to delete them.

Anyway, there are 3 MSM codes (1656, 2119 & 2120) and one IRC 1771. Those aren't important, so I guess it's nothing to worry about this time.

Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
No problem, let me know if you run into questions....Before you click the first option to check codes you can hit another button to toggle to the option delete codes....Or after you check the codes but it is a option....and if your check engine light is on your shoudl have a pcm code.......If anything you can have them checked at the parts store for free.