car tech
car tech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 years as shop owner and master tech

2005 Cadillac CTS: cranks but doesnt start..temps

Customer Question

how do you reset the fuel shutoff switch on a 2005 Cadillac CTS? car cranks but doesn't start. Tried security reset. Car set outside last night in sub-freezing temps. Oil was 1.3-quart low. Removed fuse from ECM to try to reset. Does not seem to have fuel pressure. Called OnStar - they did diagnostic and got no error codes.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  car tech replied 5 years ago.

This is a theft relearn that will need preformed

• With a master passkey III+ (PK3+) key, turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  • Observe the Security telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn off.
  • Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
  • Repeat steps 1-3 two more times for a total of 3 cycles or 30 minutes.

Important: The vehicle learns the key transponder information and/or passwords on the ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

• With a master PK3+ key, start the vehicle. The vehicle has now learned the key transponder information and the ECM has now learned the fuel continue password.
  • Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    what does the security telltale look like and where is it?
    Expert:  car tech replied 5 years ago.

The security light is located in the instrument panel cluster.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    The security telltale is not being displayed. (It comes on for a few seconds when you turn the key to ON, then goes off.) The only lights displayed are the BRAKE light, the BATTERY light and the CHECK ENGINE light (the latter two I am assuming is because the engine is not running. The last time we had this problem, it was due to very low oil (it was 3 quarts low only a little more than half way through the oil life, a problem Cadillac says is "common" for this engine). I checked the oil level and it was only a quart low; I have refilled the oil.
    Expert:  car tech replied 5 years ago.
    Does the engine do nothing or does it turn over and just not start.
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The first time I tried to start the engine, it briefly started then quit. It still turns over normally, but doesn't start or even sputter.

Expert:  car tech replied 5 years ago.

I would start by doing the relearn that i posted after that if it does not work i would check the fuel pressure.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    Relearn did not work. I used OnStar to check for error codes, and there weren't any.
    Expert:  car tech replied 5 years ago.
    You may have a bad fuel pump i would recommend doing a fuel pressure test.