Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

Cadillac Deville replace 2003 cadillac deville alternator

Customer Question

replace 2003 cadillac deville alternator instructions
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using justanswer.

Start by disconnecting the negative battery cable.

Remove the serpentine belt.

Insert a breaker bar into the tensioner (6) and turn clockwise to release tension on the belt.

graphic

Remove the radiator.

Disconnect the wiring from the alternator.

graphic

Remove bolts securing alternator to the engine

graphic

Remove alternator from the engine.

Reverse procedure to reinstall.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

u state i should remove radiator? it looks as thou i need to drain radiator and remove water pump so i can remove alternator, there is not enough room to remove alternator by itself. also how do you remove back seet to get access to battery? im looking for more step by step instructions

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 3 years ago.

The water pump does not need to be removed.

To get the back seat out, grab under the front edge of the lower seat cushion and push in and up to release the catches. Then remove lower seat cushion from the vehicle.

graphic

Remove trans cooler line clamp from radiator.

graphic

Remove transmission cooler pipes from radiator.

graphic

Disconnect engine oil cooler pipe from the radiator.

graphic

Unplug wiring from fans.

graphic

Remove the two bolts from the fans and lift fans from the radiator.

graphic

Remove radiator hoses from radiator and remove upper brackets securing radiator, then tilt radiator back. Remove the bolts securing the condenser to the radiator.

graphic

Then lift condenser off the radiator mounting ears.

graphic

Then remove the radiator from the engine compartment.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i dont see how the alternator will slide out with frame members blocking it? its looks as thou if i removed water pump it will drop down?
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 3 years ago.
The water pump is on the other side of the engine, near the transmission. The part that is below the alternator is the a/c compressor. You do not want to remove the compressor, as you will lose all of the refrigerant. Once the radiator and fans are removed, the alternator will lift out through the top.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok, last ? is there anything that is a common problem or anything that will help while im replacing the alternator, what is the estimated time for a backyard guy to complete this repair? and should it even be attempted by a novice with tools.lol
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 3 years ago.
This is not too tough a job. It should take you about 4 to 5 hours to complete this job. If you follow the steps, it is pretty self expanatory when you get into it to do the work. You will save yourself at least $400 by doing the job yourself.
Dave Nova, Cadillac Technician
Experience: ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
is all this info being sent to my email? i cant print from laptop? or can i get info by puting in conformation number, n thanks for all your help im sure it will help me. have a good thanksgiving
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 3 years ago.
You are getting emails sent to you. You can access this conversation from the link in any of the email to print any portion of it you wish.