Mark, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34+ yrs Dealership Exp. - Fully State & ASE Certified - GM Master & GM World Class Tech

I have a 2002 Deville and it wont start.

Customer Question

Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Mark replied 5 years ago.
Greetings, my name is Mark.

I will do my best to help you. Please do not accept my answer unless you can leave positive feedback. It is important to me that I have helped you and you are satisfied with my answer. I don't know if you are a tech or just a person who is attempting to repair their own vehicle. I only know as much about your issue as you have told me on your post. My answers will be based on the amount of information I am reading. Try to give me as much detail as you can, so we can accurately solve your problem.

When you say .. "it won't start"....does that mean it cranks over and won't run, or .... when you turn the key, nothing happens?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
turn the key
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Mark are you there.?
Expert:  Mark replied 5 years ago.
Hello back......

Turning the key and nothing happens?

Do you have battery power?
Do the lights work?
Does the horn blow?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have 13.4 volts
Horn works
Lights are working and brite
Expert:  Mark replied 5 years ago.
So if our battery is good, and yet when you turn the key, nothing happens, you either have a "security" issue, a communication issue with one or more of the modules, or the starter motor issue. Does that sound logical to you?

There is no doubt that you will have trouble codes stored. At this point, you will need to find access to a code reader or some sort of diagnostic scanner. It does no good to try and guess your issue and start putting on parts that are not needed.

Your starter motor is underneath the intake manifold. I have seen these fail, but not as often as a module, key programming, or some other security issue.

You should take your car to a repair facility that you trust and get it properly diagnosed. Or if you can get your codes read, I can be more informed to direct you to a path of repair. However, any module or security issue that is addressed, will need to be programmed through GM.