Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 32 years exp,Cadillac 6 yrs
13677702

1991 Cadillac Eldorado: Delco..the stereo/CD player

I have a 1991 Cadillac Eldorado with a Delco Bose CD player in it. Both of my front speakers have stopped working and now only one of my rear speakers is working. I have swirtced out the stereo/CD player and still no improvement. A mechanic told me there is a relay located under glovebox which controls these speakers. Is this true and does anyone know of correct name or part # XXXXX relay? Thanks, -Tom
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
Hello, let me know if you still need help with this. I will bo on/ off this am.and then later today . Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, I still need help with this problem. Only left rear speaker is working. Sometimes a high peach squeal which dissipates withn 3 minutes from right rear but no sound after that. Front speakers not working at all. I have tried to locate a part number for 'Bose Audio Relay' in 1986 -1991 Cad Mater parts book for Eldo's and Sevilles with no luck...they only show a relay for the '86-'89 years. Before dropping the fuse box panel under glovebox or taking off door panels to replace front speakers, I want to know if a relay does in fact exist and whether it not this could be the culprit. I would also need group and part number to order a new one if you feel it is.
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
Ok, are you familar with the realy panel in the trunk area behind back seat but in trunk?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will find the relay panel. Can you tell me if there actually is a relay as parrs book does not show it and conference with parts manager resulted in him telling me that there was no listing for a stereo/audio relay for a 1991. Please give me some advice on whay may be the problem here...Once again, no frnt speaker sound and only one (pass rear) speaker working on Delco Bose Gold system. Thanks, -Tom
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
your response is kind of jumping ahead some but.. to answer you yes,, there are 2 relays. one for front amplified speakers, one for rear. the problem is,I doubt seriously you have a relay problem.each relay controls 2 speakers. It is near impossible for say a rear relay to fail and you have 1 speaker still working. I suspect you either have a failing radio speaker drive circuit OR the amps/speakers are failing. Below is the wiring diagram to speakers. You will see each relay controls 2 speakers no way they can control just one. If you lost just front? yes, maybe relay, the micro relays are in the trunk relay panel. I do not have location picture but they are relay F and D. All you can do is see if you have power 12volts to each speaker. if so, bad speaker/amps

graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What are these relays called by Cadillac and do you have a group and part number for them? Thus far I have been unable to locate any such relay(s) in Master Parts book for a 1991 Eldorado? Thanks, -Tom
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
I do not have acces to part # XXXXX Did you locate the relays in the trunk?
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
he 1991 Eldorado and Seville trunk and underhood relay centers use micro-relays. Two different micro-relays are installed when the car is assembled. Refer to Figure 1 for relay locations in the trunk relay center and Figure 2 for relay locations in the underhood relay center. The relays can be differentiated by color (blue or black) and part number. When micro-relay replacement is necessary use P/N 12065125 (black) which supersedes relay P/N 12088561 (blue) and 12065118 (black).

graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

In the first diagram you sent me, there is a Bose Fuse 5 (25 amp) fuse shown located in an 'Interior Relay Panel". Can you please tell me where this panel is located and what this part number is? Your help is much appreciated and I feel that I am finally making progress with this problem. -Tom

Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
Behind RH Side Of I/P.

Behind RH Side Of I/P, Below Glove Box

pplication and ID
gc91ekbdy_8a11-001c

Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience: ASE Master Tech, 32 years exp,Cadillac 6 yrs
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your help on this one....Imanaged to get three of the four BOSE spe4akers working and have determined that the lone non working front is a speaker and not a relay problem. I am formally accepting answer and paying for your service so many thanks. -Tom