car tech
car tech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 years as shop owner and master tech

head gasket..radiator reservoir..engine runs smoothly at 2000 rpm

Can I fix a leaking head gasket without the dealer removing the engine? The radiator reservoir is loosing a little level each hour of run time but the engine runs smoothly at 2000 rpm. The temperature gauge is normal. The engine has original spark plugs, a slight rear oil seal leak and a reported 'cracked' engine mount. Total cost is quoted as $5,500 for this 1999 STS. It is in fine condition with new tires and gets 25 mpg on the road. But I will want to put that much money to use for a newer car. Any hope for it? I have rebuilt pre-injection engines.

you can put a new motor in for 5500 dollars the head gasket can be changed in the car should be about 1500 bucks check with a independent shop

for a better estimate