Pete, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  15 years Cadillac experience as a technician.
14928985

2003 CADILLAC DTS: ABS..SUSPENSION LIGHTS COME..TRACTION..SPEED SENSOR

ON MY 2003 CADILLAC DTS THE SERVICE ABS AND SUSPENSION LIGHTS COME ON WHEN THE CAR COMES TO A SLOW STOP AND SOMETIMES THE TRACTION ENGAGES. THIS IS RANDOM. SOME TELL ME ITS THE WHEEL SPEED SENSOR. ALSO THE CHECK TIRE PRESSURE LIGHT COMES ON SOMETIMES AND TELLS ME THE TIRE PRESSURE ON THE RT FRNT TIRE IS LIKE AT 11 lbs WHICH I KNOW ITS NOT. CAN THIS SENSOR BE REPLACE BY MYSELF. THE HUBS WERE REPLACED ABOUT 1 YRS AGO. IS THERE A WAY TO INACTIVATE THIS SENSOR UNTIL I CAN REPLACE THE SENSOR AND HOW HARD IS IT TO REPLACE. IF YOU HAVE SOME TYPE OF PRINTED GUIDE AND OR PART NUMBER FOR THE SENSOR, THAT WOULD BE HELPFUL
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Pete replied 4 years ago.

Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

This ounds like you have a wheel sped sensor failing,sending the wrong signal to the abs computer,this will turn on these lamps and activate the traction control,what needs to be done from here is to observe each wheel speed sensor data with a scan tool to determine which one is at fault,this can be done by any shop.

It does sound like you have a tire pressure sensor at fault since the pressure is o.k.

A new one will have to be installed and has to be done by a tire shop as it is located inside the tire.

There isnt a way to deactivate the tire pressure system on this vehicle as it is considered a safety feature.

I dont have an exact part number for this sensor as ir depends on the Mhz signal but the labor charge to install this is .8 of an hour.

Expert:  Pete replied 4 years ago.
I can try and locate you an after market part number for this sensor if you want?Let me know,Thanks Pete!
Expert:  Pete replied 4 years ago.

From Auto Zone the sensor part number is XXXXX sensors houlodnt be to expensive I would say around $30 each and possibly less in some parts stores,you can buy them from a dealer/tire shop/or almost any parts stores.

I hope this helped,Thanks Pete!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
CAN I REPLACE THE SPEED SENSORS MYSELF AND THEY ARE ON THE REAR HUBS CORRECT AND THAT PART NUMBER IS XXXXX THE TIRE PRESSURE MONITOR CORRECT
Expert:  Pete replied 4 years ago.

The part number is XXXXX the tire pressure sensor,this is an autozone part number but if you go to a parts store they should be able to cross this number in most cases.

Your vehicle has four sensors,one on each wheel hub assembly,in the rear this sensor can be replaced without having to replace the hub but it does require a special tool to install the new sensor,this is a GM service tool that Cadillac dealers will have.

For the front you would have to replace the entire wheel hub assembly to get a new sensor,I dont have the costs on these but rear sensors can cost around $30 to $75 each as the hubs can run $150 to $300 each depending on where they are purchased and whether they are factory or after market.

You will need a scan tool to watch each speed sensors signal while coming to a stop or driving to find the one that is reading incorrectly compared to the rest.

Pete, Cadillac Technician
Experience: 15 years Cadillac experience as a technician.