Pete, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  17 years Cadillac experience as a technician.
14928985

1999 Deville: po741.Torque converter clutch circuit..driven

1999 Deville engine light on - code po741.Torque converter clutch circuit performance or stuck off. Car has 54,000 actual miles driven very little since 2003.Can I drive it in this condition? What can I expect to pay to correct this situation.

Thank-you

Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

Your transmission has an electric torque converter clutch solenoid that control the on and off of the torque converter lock up.If the solenoid fail in the transmission this code will set and the torque converter will not lock up in this condition for final cruising speed for lower r.p.m. on the engine and better fuel economy.

You can drive the vehicle this way but I would recommend getting this repaired as soon as possible to avoid any further wear or damage.

Usually this is the solenoid that fails and causes this code.The solenoid can cost around $100 and take up to 6 hours labor to replace as the transmission side pan has to be removed in order to gain access to replace this solenoid,it is recommended that a shop do this repair as the sub frame has to be lowered with the transmission in order to replace the solenoid.

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!