GMWrencher, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  100% GM Certified ASE Master Automobile Medium/Heavy Truck. Licensed State Auto Inspector

My 1994 Cadillac DeVille Concourse parking brake will not disengage.

My 1994 Cadillac DeVille Concourse parking brake will not disengage. I've only had the car about 4 months and wasn't using the parking brake, but recently started. If I'm remembering correctly, the first time or two I used the brake, it disengaged automatically when I shifted into gear. Now it will not do that. I don't see any type of manual disengage. Any advice? (or do I just not remember correctly and need a shrink, not a mechanic)

Hello, I will do my best to help answer your General Motors Vehicle questions.

Yes it would have been automatic release, after you select a gear from park. Most likely cause is a bad release actuator. There is a manual over ride. It is located directly about the parking brake pedal, and is mot of the time colored yellow, or red, or be bare metal. With the vehicle in park you can manually flip the lever and it will release the park brake.

Its there, but if your not familiar you may have to either feel around or take a closer look.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yep, it was there. bare metal, looked a little like part of the brake, but a little pull with my finger and it disengaged. THANK YOU!