John, ASE Certified Technician

2000 cadillac seville sts: ignition switch..alternator..dash lights

Customer Question

I have a 2000 cadillac seville sts, I have replaced ignition switch, coils, alternator starter, it has a new transmission, also battery. My car will not start. When I put the key in the dash lights comes on put it does not start or even sound like its trying to start. It was recently towed and I got it out of impund, not sure what the problem could be. Can you help me . Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX [email protected]
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.

Hello & Welcome to JA,

I suggest you have a tech scan the computers for theft deterrent faults .If there are fault codes set the vehicle computer will stop the engine from starting.

Test the ignition switch to see if there is a circuit that has battery voltage when the key is turned to the start position.

Test at the starter to see if the voltage at the purple wire when the ignition switch is in the start position.

Check the starter relay in the under hood fuse block. I am sending a schematic to help you.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

How would you reset the codes would I have to take it to a dealer?

Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
You could do that or find a technician that has a scan tool with the proper software for viewing the theft deterrent system. Most major shops have this ability ,but I suggest asking when you speak with them.

Edited by john on 10/8/2010 at 2:49 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
so i need to reset my theft system?
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
Any time you replace the parts that you have the theft deterrent system must be re learned.