Jim, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified A6,A8,L1 and California Licensed Smog Technician

My check engine light comes..accelerate

Customer Question

My check engine light comes on whenever I accelerate whether I'm taking off from stand still or switching lanes on the interstate. I have no idea what the problem is. I also feel a skip when going up or down hill and trying to maintain the same speed.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Jim replied 6 years ago.
There many possible causes, for the problem you are describing. When the check engine light comes on, it will store a code in memory related to the problem the vehicle is having. You will need to retrieve those codes and send them to me and we can isolate the problem from there. A lot of auto part stores, like auto zone, will retrieve these codes for free.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The engine light only blinks when I'm accelerating. It doesn't stay on. When I back off the accelerator it goes away. Will it still show a code if the light doesn't stay on?
Expert:  Jim replied 6 years ago.
Any time the light comes on, it stores a code in it's memory. That code can later be retrieved to help diagnose the problem.