Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

2002 Cadillac Deville: The gas gauge never reads correctly

I have a 2002 Cadillac Deville. The gas gauge never reads correctly. It reads different levels at all different times. Sometimes when the gas tank is completely full, it will read half a tank, sometimes it will read a full tank. When it is empty, sometimes it was read full, half and sometimes it will read empty; it is always something different. I'm not sure what it could be. I've read a few things online; but they're not really all that helpful.
The problem with the arratic fuel gauges on these cars can almost always be traced back to a faulty fuel level sensor in the tank. The sensor contact fingers are very thin and tend to break off over time, which causes erratic readings from the sensor. Replacement fuel level sensors are available separately from the fuel pump. The fuel tank does not need to be removed from the vehicle for this repair. There is an access panel at the front of the trunk, behind the back seat. Pull the trunk carpet back to get to the access panel.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Could you provide me with a link so that I may know exactly what part to order?