Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 32 years exp,Cadillac 6 yrs

I have a 2006 Cadillac DTS and am replacing the rear brake

I have a 2006 Cadillac DTS and am replacing the rear brake pads. I had to replace one rotor because of a "hot Spot" on the original and cannot get the piston all the way back to allow the caliper/pads to go over the rotor. Because the emergency brake apparently works off of the same piston, could this be the source of the problem and, if so, how can I fully release the emrgency brake cable to allow the piston to go completely back into the caliper. This is non-heavy duty brakes with a single caliper on the rear wheels.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Randall C replied 6 years ago.
Hello, the cliper piston is to be screwed in. There is actually a special tool for this. You do not clamp with C clamp to retract. the caliper is very sensitive in design. Clamping it could damge it easily. I hope it is not after you tried. You shoudl see a couple slots on the face of piston. You use these slots will tool to roate the piston and wind it back in. Sometimes you have to turn some, push some etc till piston all the way back.If it doesn not want to go back by screwing in, it is possible it is damaged and needs replaced. the cable does not beed to be unhooked. Afetr all done, you pump e brake pedal several times to readjust the rear brake pads
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Just need to know where I can purchase this tool?
Expert:  Randall C replied 6 years ago.
Most any parts store carries the tool. Some even rent it. The tool locks into the 2 nothces on the piston and winds the piston in as well as pushes it. Just ask the parts store for caliper tool or tool to compress caliper