jeffrey590
jeffrey590, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  35 Years Dealership Experience , 25 Years ASE Master Technician , GM Certified In All Areas
11029438

I have a 2004 CTS and have a CD Mechanical error for my stereo.

I have a 2004 CTS and have a CD Mechanical error for my stereo. My son tried to put two CDs in and jammed it. I removed the CDs but now the CD player wont work and the error message states CD Mechanical error.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  jeffrey590 replied 6 years ago.
Greetings JACUSTOMER, Unfortuneately the unit carriage is most likely misaligned or jammed...you will need to have it either repaired or possibly replaced depending on the extent of the internal damage...It doesn't take much to lock these units up inside and most times a rebuilt will be issued to you in place of your own when going in for repairs...Just remember to note if any other CD's are trapped inside so the rebuilder can remove them and return them to you...Sorry for the bad news...If I can assist further please let me know...jeffrey590
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Do I need to take it back to the dealer or would you recommend a stereo store?
I would recommend the dealer only because they are more experienced in dealing with the removal and installation of the unit...also they will be able to get you in and out alot faster by swapping your unit with a factory rebuilt that they probably will have in stock...It is really a matter of preference; but I would be more comfortable with someone doing the repairs that does it every day...Finally they may be able to repair it on the spot...I have seen several units that just require a mild internal alignment of the mechanism and they work fine after that...If I can assist further please let me know...jeffrey590