FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH.
1627031

2005 Cadillac SRX: it wont start..disconnect..resets..me start

I have a 2005 Cadillac SRX. Unpredictably, it won't start. I disconnect the battery negative and it resets and allows me start the vehicle. When I try to relearn the key after disconnecting the battery, the DIC reads "Service Anti-Theft System". Any answers?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 6 years ago.
Hello JACUSTOMER, do you simply reset the system by taking off the battery cable?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, I am simply unhooking the battery cable. Maybe that is not needed. What do I need to do to fix the "service anti-theft system" on the dic?
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 6 years ago.
Okay. Most of the time on this vehicle the problem is due to a bad key lock cylinder and ignition switch. These parts tend to wear out and cause this.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for your help, but I'm really looking for someone who knows Cadillacs and their never ending problems.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 6 years ago.
I am very familiar with them. I even own one. The solution I am giving you is the most common fix for this problem.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So, without any additional diagnosis, you would recommend that I change out my key lock cylinder and ignition switch.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 6 years ago.
If you do not want to replace both then I would just replace the ignition switch. I just recommend both because you will have them both out.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Can you explain to me how this plays in to the anit-theft problem?
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 6 years ago.
There is an antitheft sensor in the key lock cylinder. If this sensor fails then this will happen. If the ignition switch fails and the computer does not see any movement in this sensor when the ignition switch cuts off then it will also think that the vehicle is being stolen.