Pete, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  17 years Cadillac experience as a technician.
14928985

What can cause a car to die once it’s put into gear?

One of the most common failures that can cause this problem that I have seen before is the Torque converter solenoid (TCC solenoid). This solenoid can stay stuck on and cause the torque converter to stay locked up, this will cause the vehicle to stall whenever it is put into gear. The vehicle will start and run fine in park or neutral but will stall out as soon as it is put into gear. This is the most common failure that can cause this.

Also a malfunctioning idle air control valve can cause this, if the valve isn’t moving or responding to bump up the idle when put in gear it may cause the vehicle to stall out, the computer commands this valve to allow more air in to bump up the idle to compensate the load on the engine when put in gear, if it isn’t moving or isnt moving fast enough the idle may be too low and could cause the engine to stall out.

Also when the vehicle is put in gear the engine and trans move slightly under the hood, if there is a wiring harness that is chafed or cut into it may be grounding out when the engine or trans moves and could be shorting out a component or computer which can cause a stall condition, the engine harness may need to be checked over to see if any wires are cut into, I have seen this before as well.

Read full interaction below »

Car starts but dies when put into gear.

Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Pete replied 6 years ago.

Does the vehicle stall every time it is put in gear?

Did the dealer test anything or check for any fault codes?

Was the dealer able to duplicate the failure?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Yes, vehicle stalls everytime it is put into gear. Dealer has had the car for a week and has run a full range of tests. Yes, dealer is able to duplicate the failure.

Expert:  Pete replied 6 years ago.

Also a malfunctioning idle air control valve can cause this, if the valve isn’t moving or responding to bump up the idle when put in gear it may cause the vehicle to stall out, the computer commands this valve to allow more air in to bump up the idle to compensate the load on the engine when put in gear, if it isn’t moving or isnt moving fast enough the idle may be too low and could cause the engine to stall out.