John, ASE Certified Technician

2005 SRX: wont start..turn key..jumped..Been towed to dealer

I have a CADillac 2005 SRX that at random times won't start, nothing when turn key, and can't be jumped. Been towed to dealer and then of course starts. They can't figure it out becuz starts for them. Is there an ignition chip that can be faulty??
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.

Hello & Welcome to JA,

You vehicle does not have a "chip" in the ignition ,but uses a sensor at the ignition switch that sends random security codes from the switch to the theft deterrent system for security verification of each start.I have seen quite a few ignition switch fail,some will exactly as you explain "nothing when you turn the key".The next ignition cycle will be correct.I would start with replacing the ignition switch & sensor.