Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years experience

Deville: My air is not blowing cold. I charged the ac..cold air

Customer Question

I have a '96 Cadi Deville. My air is not blowing cold. I charged the ac myself at the low pressure port, still no cold air. Do I need to reset any codes to get the ac working? Thanks!
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Jerry replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

Is the compressor kicking on?

Do you know what the pressures are in the system?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
don't hear the compressor. The pressure is approx. 65-70 lbs.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't hear the compressor Pressure is about 60 lbs. Do you have an answer yet?
Expert:  Jerry replied 4 years ago.
I am so sorry....I don't know what's wrong with this site but I just got your reply just now.

You will want to clear any trouble code out of the system and then the compressor will kick on and you can add the rest of the freon. Here is how that is done. You just want press the off and warm buttons until it goes into the diag mode. I normally do that with the key on and the engine off.

graphic

ENTERING DIAGNOSTICS
  1. Turn the ignition switch "ON."
  2. Push the "OFF" and "WARM" buttons on the Climate Control Center (CCC) simultaneously and hold until the segment check appears on the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) . NOTICE: Operating the vehicle in diagnostics for extended time periods without the engine running or without a battery charger will cause the battery to run down and possibly relate false diagnostic information, or cause a "no start" condition. To ensure proper operation, attach a battery charger if vehicle is to be operated in diagnostics without engine running for an extended time period.

SEGMENT CHECK
The purpose of illuminating the IPC is to verify all segments of the LED displays are working. The turn signal indicators do not light during this check. Further diagnosis should not be attempted unless all segments appear, as this could lead to misdiagnosis. If any portions or segments of the IPC displays are inoperative, the IPC must be replaced.

DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) DISPLAY
After diagnostics are entered, any DTCs stored in computer memory will be displayed. Each DTC consists of the system abbreviation (P - PCM, IP - IPC, AC - ACM, SD - SIR, TCS -TCS, RS - RSS, PZ - PZM, IR - IRC, RF- RFA, CC - CCP or PH -PHN), a four digit identifier, and the letter C or H. All DTCs for each system are displayed together, in consecutive order by their four digit number (lowest first - i.e. PZ 2016, PZ 2096, etc.). The final digit of the code, a "C" or an "H", is used to indicate whether the DTC is current or history. A "C" means the malfunction was still present the last time the diagnostic test was run, while "H" means the failure was not present the last time the DTC was tested for. If no DTCs are present for a system, a "NO X CODES" message (with X being the system i.e. PCM, IPC, ACM, SIR, TCS, RSS, PZM, IRC, RFA, CCP or PHN) will be displayed. If the communication line to a component is not operating, a "NO X DATA" message will be displayed, indicating that the IPC could not communicate with that system. At any time during the display of DTCs, if the "MODE" button on the IPC is pressed the system will exit "Service Mode" and go back to normal vehicle operation.

SELECTING THE SYSTEM
After trouble codes have been displayed, a specific vehicle system PCM, IPC, ACP, SIR, TCS, RSS may be selected for testing.

The first available system will be automatically displayed (i.e. PCM?). While selecting the system to test, any of the following actions may be taken:

1. Depressing the "HI" button will select the displayed system for testing.
  2. Depressing the "LO" button will display the next available system selection. This allows the display to be stepped through all system choices. This list of systems can be repeated following the end of the system list.
  3. Depressing the "OFF" button will stop the system selection process and return the display to the beginning of the trouble code sequence.
  4. Pressing the "OFF" button twice will return the system to the segment check.

SELECTING THE TEST TYPE
Having selected a system, the first available test type will be displayed (i.e. PCM DATA?, PCM CLEAR CODES?). While selecting a specific test type, any of the following actions may be taken:

1. Depressing the "HI" button will select the displayed test type. At this point the first of several specific tests will appear.
  2. Depressing the "LO" button will display the next available test type for the selected system. This allows the display to be stepped through all available test type choices. This list of test types can be repeated following the display of the last test type.
  3. Depressing the "OFF" button will stop the test type selection process and return the display to the next available system selection.

CLEAR CODES
Selection of "CLEAR CODES?" test will result in the message "CODES CLEARED" being displayed along with the selected systems name. This message will appear for 3 seconds and then return to the next available test type.

EXITING DIAGNOSTIC MODE
To get out of the diagnostic mode anytime during the test, depress the "MODE" or "DEFOG" button, or turn the ignition switch "OFF." Trouble codes are not erased if this is done prior to selecting "CODES CLEARED."

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I ran the codes diagnostics and cleared the codes--AC still does not work. Any other suggestions?
Expert:  Jerry replied 4 years ago.

That's all the information that I have on it. Let me opt out and we can re list the case to see if there may be another expert who may have more. No need to reply as that will lock the question back to me, someone should be along shortly. Thank you for your patience.