David, Mechanic
Experience:  Heavy Duty Repair Mechanic Extensive knowledge repairing and rebilding engines, transmissions
533087

How would I install a new water pump belt 1996 Cadillac DeVille

How would I install a new water pump belt? 1996 Cadillac DeVille 4.6L.
I just can't see how to loop the belt around, I even tried with the tensioner. It seems like I may have to remove the pulley.
Hi thank you for your question hope this helps.

It can be a little tricky the power steering pulley should be the last pulley you put the belt on.

try these steps.

1. Following the schematic on the decal under the hood, loop the drive belt over all the pulleys except the power steering pulley.
  2. With the belt installed properly on all except the power steering pulley, rotate the tensioner as described above and install the belt on the power steering pulley. Ensure that all the V-grooves make proper contact with the pulleys.
graphic

Good luck
Hope this helps
David, Mechanic
Experience: Heavy Duty Repair Mechanic Extensive knowledge repairing and rebilding engines, transmissions
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Sorry David, I totally appreciate your help.

It is on the other side of the engine, the belt for the water pump. Under the air cleaner.

It is just a small belt that threads through inside water pump and outside the head or block. Sorry I am Just tryin to do more myself.

Hello, new expert here. Do you still need help with the water pump R/R? LMk thanks
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

It is just a small belt that threads through inside water pump and outside the head or block. Sorry I am Just tryin to do more myself. David I appreciate your help, and I am going to accept your answer. I got it! You do have to remove the pulley. I just followed the instructions on how to replace a water pump. Thanx!

I am a new expert and not David. I was still wondering if you needed help still. I will get the info for you that you need an send shortly. Thanks
I am back, Inorder to replce the pump belt on this engine the water pump must be removed. This requires a special tool that pushes in and turns the pump to remove it.Then the belt

oolant Pump Drive Belt Removal and Installation

Manufacture doesn't provide information pertaining to removal and installation of the coolant pump drive belt. Please refer to coolant pump service and repair for removal and installation of coolant pump drive belt.

COOLANT PUMP

Water Pump And Crossover Assemblies

Fig. 26 Water Pump Assembly & Housing

SPECIAL TOOL REQUIRED (or equivalent)

• J-38816-A, Water pump remover/installer.

REMOVE OR DISCONNECT

1. Drain cooling system.
  2. Engine torque strut, position out of way.
  3. Air cleaner assembly.
  4. Water pump belt cover.
  5. Water pump drive belt.
  6. Bypass hose.
  7. Lower radiator hose from thermostat housing.
  8. Pump cover (4 bolts).
  9. Water pump from housing using J-38816-A. Turn clockwise to remove.
  10. Clean water pump and pump cover sealing surfaces.

INSTALL OR CONNECT

1. Water pump turning counter clockwise to install. Tighten water pump to 100 Nm (73 lb ft) .
  2. Water pump cover (4 bolts) and tighten to10 Nm (89 lb in) .
  3. Lower radiator hose to thermostat housing.
  4. Bypass hose.
  5. Water pump drive belt.
  6. Water pump belt cover.
  7. Air cleaner assembly.
  8. Engine torque strut.
  9. Refill cooling system.