George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ Years
13574682

My instrument cluster went out in my 1997 Cadillac Deville.

My instrument cluster went out in my 1997 Cadillac Deville. I replaced it with another but the car won't start with the new (actually used) cluster. I tried it again with still a different cluster but the same thing happened. Both times I had to reinstall the original cluster so the car would start.
Any ideas? I wonder if some electronic rebooting is necessary. Or is it possible that the key code (I'm using the original key) requires a match to the cluster.
Hope you have an answer. I'm getting tired of swapping out clusters
Bill Diebels
Juneau, Alaska
(no Caddy shops here to consult.)
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

You are omn the right track with the security issue. Part of the security system is in the cluster so when you replace it the car thinks it is being stolen.

Try this procedure with the replacement cluster installed.

IPC REPLACEMENT
When replacing the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) make sure the correct version is used, since the analog and digital IPC's are not interchangeable. Since the data contained in the IPC's microprocessors are vehicle specific, the IPC must be reprogrammed by a authorized service center when replaced. When obtaining a replacement IPC, all information requested by the authorized service center must be correct. This information ensures that the correct version of software is maintained in the vehicle.

IMPORTANT: All replacement IPC's received from an authorized service center are configured, so that the IPC can learn (store to memory) the vehicle's ignition key pellet resistance (key code) value (PASS-Key II). The vehicle will not start until the key code value is learned by the IPC. The theft deterrent module re-learn procedure must be performed, refer to IPC Programming after replacement.

IPC PROGRAMMING FOLLOWING REPLACEMENT
To ensure that the IPC learns the vehicle's key code value perform the following theft deterrent module re-learn procedures.

IMPORTANT: During this procedure the vehicles battery must maintain a minimum of 10.5 volts. If the battery is not fully charged or is weak a battery charger should be connected. NOTE, the battery charger must not be set to 12 volt boost. This prevents this procedure from working.

1. Cycle the Ignition Switch to the "RUN" position.
  2. Wait a minimum of 10 minutes, cycle the Ignition Switch to the "OFF" position.
  3. Cycle the Ignition Switch to the "RUN" position.
  4. Wait a minimum of 10 minutes, cycle the Ignition Switch to the "OFF" position.
  5. Cycle the Ignition Switch to the "RUN" position.
  6. Wait a minimum of 10 minutes, cycle the Ignition Switch to the "OFF" position.
  7. Verify the repair.

Where they say "cycle the key to run" turn the key to the start position and let it fall back to the run position.

Let me know if this works for you

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I need some clarification. Your reply includes: "Since the data contained in the IPC's microprocessors are vehicle specific, the IPC must be reprogrammed by a authorized service center when replaced. When obtaining a replacement IPC, all information requested by the authorized service center must be correct. This information ensures that the correct version of software is maintained in the vehicle.

IMPORTANT: All replacement IPC's received from an authorized service center are configured, so that the IPC can learn (store to memory) the vehicle's ignition key pellet resistance (key code) value (PASS-Key II)."

This sounds like I have to start with a service center reprogrammed IPC. Are you suggesting I can just follow the IPC programming procedure you quote with the IPC that came from another 97 Cad Deville? I hope that's the case but I'm not clear at this point.
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

You can do the relearn procedure the mileage will be incorrect but the IPC should learn the correct code. If this does not work you will have to find a shop that has a Tech 2 scantool and access to TIS.

Give it a try with the used cluster and it should work for you, if not I have other sources to get you going

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No luck! I tried the procedure several times without results. I even put in a new battery as mine was a little weak to insure adequate voltage.
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

Ok then you will have to find a shop with a TECH 2 scantool and they will be able to put it into learn mode

Does the replacement cluster light up?

I checked for AC Delco shops in Juneau but could not locate one but there should be someone with a TECH 2 there. If the replacement cluster lights up this will work.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Replacement cluster light up: The top row of lights where parking brake, batt, oil, etc indicators are does light up. So do the side gauges (mpg, range, outside temp, etc). However, the rest of the cluster (speedometer and whatever else is in the lower 3/4 of the cluster midsection) does not light up. This is exactly the situation with my original cluster. This problem has existed for months. When it first appeared, the cluster would have periods of working normally for a few minutes from time-to-time but eventually it would not come on at all except for the top and sides as described above. Is the ENTIRE cluster supposed to be lit up when the ignition is turned on? I can't remember.
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

You should see the spedo and odo so it sounds like you have another cluster that the illumination has failed. This is the failure mode for these clusters and I usually have to go through several used ones to find one that works.

All of the clusters have this same problem, there are several spedometer repair places on E-Bay that will try to repair your original or you can try car-part.com to try and find a working cluster but these digital clusters have a very high failure rate.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Bummer. Do you know a source for getting a working cluster? I'm inclined to just live with it but was ready to sell it and the absence of a working cluster has poor curb appeal. Following your next reply I'll accept answer. Thanks. XXXXX
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

This is one source to have your cluster repaired, It is $250 so it is not inexpensive but you might be able to recoup that during the sale

Click here

George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master Tech 15+ Years