Tim West
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ase certified service manager

2003 cadillac deville: air comes..top vents in dash.it..clicking noise

Customer Question

car 2003 cadillac deville.air works fine,but no air comes out top vents in dash.it made a clicking noise,than stopped working.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for visiting Just Answer,
Sounds like you have a problem with the mode actuator.

1. Remove the Left Hand (LH) hush panel and the LH knee bolster.

2. May also need to remove the steering column for more access.

3. Tap on the mode actuator, check for operation.

4. Check mode actuator connection, wiggle connector, check for operation.

5. Remove the screws that hold the motor in place only.

6. Pry this motor off the shaft, leave the cam and levers in place.

7. Move the cam, make sure that the levers/doors move freely.

8. If OK, replace the mode actuator. NOTE: It's wise to replace the motor only, difficult to align the cam/levers for the mode actuator.

TRIM PANEL REPLACEMENT - INSTRUMENT PANEL (I/P) CLUSTER

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

CAUTION: Refer to SIR Caution in Service Precautions.

1. Remove the Instrument Panel (IP) upper trim pad.
  2. Remove the screw holding the cluster trim panel and the passenger trim panel together.

1. Remove the screws from the outside edges of the IP cluster trim panel (1).
  2. Disconnect the Driver Information Center (DIC) electrical connectors.
  3. Remove the IP cluster trim panel (1).

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

1. Engage the lower edge of the IP cluster trim plate (1) to the IP.
  2. Connect the electrical connectors to the DIC switches.
  3. Install the IP cluster trim panel (1) screws. NOTE: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions. Tighten Tighten the screws to 2 N.m (18 lb in ).

1. Install the screw securing the IP cluster bezel to the passenger trim panel. Tighten Tighten the screws to 2 N.m (18 lb in ).
  2. Install the Upper Trim Pad Trim Pad Replacement - Instrument Panel (I/P) Upper

Notes

MODE ACTUATOR REPLACEMENT

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

1. Remove the IP carrier.
  2. Remove the mode actuator retaining screws (1). IMPORTANT: The left air temperature actuator does not need to be removed in order to remove the mode actuator. The left air temperature actuator is removed in the graphic in order to show the screw locations.
  3. Remove the mode actuator.

1. Note the position of the door levers to the cam. The mode door levers must be in the same position in order to reassemble the mode actuator to the HVAC case.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

1. The mode door levers must be in the this position in order to reassemble the mode actuator to the HVAC case.
  2. Lubricate the pivots on the mode door levers and the channels on the mode actuator cam before assembling.

1. Align the mode door levers with the cam slots, as noted on disassembly.
  2. Install the mode actuator to the HVAC module.
  3. Install the mode actuator retaining screws (1). NOTE: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions. Tighten Tighten the screws to 1.4 N.m (12 lb in) .
  4. Install the IP carrier.
  5. Recalibrate the actuators. Refer to Re-Calibrating Actuators. Repair Instructions

Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Ase certified service manager
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the trim panel over glove box is not comming loose. help