Ivan
Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technican
Experience:  ASE Master Tech w/ 20+ years in the field. Self employed for 9 years. Member of AUTOLAB radio show.

2005 Cadillac: CTS...I want to replace both low beam headlight bulbs

I have 2005 Cadillac CTS. I want to replace both low beam headlight bulbs. How do I replace them?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Ivan replied 3 years ago.

Hello and good evening. Below you will find the procedure to replace the headlight bulb. It requires the removal of the front bumper fascia to remove the headlight assemblies. I've got one of these cars too, and yes the bumper needs to come off.

Your JA Expert,

Ivan

HEADLAMP ASSEMBLY OR HEADLAMP BULB AND/OR CORNERING, SIDEMARKER, PARK, TURN SIGNAL BULB REPLACEMENT

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

1. Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Vehicle Lifting.

1. Remove the push-pin retainers on the air deflector to allow access to fascia extension retainers.
  2. Open the hood.
  3. Remove the push-pin retainers that secure the appropriate side of the grille and fascia to the upper tie bar.
  4. Remove the first push-pin retainer past the center in order to allow the grille to flex.

1. Remove the front fascia extension.

1. Remove the bolt (2) that secures the front fascia to the fender.
  2. Loosen the bolt (1) that attaches the front fascia to the fender.
  3. Pull the front fascia forward to align the fascia studs with enlarged portion of the hole within the key slot in the fender.
  4. Gently pull the front fascia downward to disengage it from the front fender.

1. Remove the 3 bolts that secure the headlamp to the vehicle.
  2. Disengage headlamp washer hose, if equipped.

1. Pull the headlamp straight forward to disengage the headlamp ball stud from the fender socket. IMPORTANT: A high amount of force is necessary to perform the next step.
  2. Reach behind the headlamp to disconnect the headlamp electrical connector.
  3. Pull the top part of the front fascia and grille assembly forward only far enough to remove the headlamp assembly from the vehicle.
  4. Remove the headlamp assembly from the vehicle.
  5. Remove the headlamp bulb cover from the headlamp assembly.
  6. Remove the headlamp bulb from the headlamp assembly. CAUTION: Refer to Halogen Bulb Caution in Service Precautions.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

1. Install the bulb to the headlamp assembly.
  2. Install the headlamp bulb cover to the headlamp assembly.
  3. Install the headlamp assembly.

1. Pull the top of the front fascia and grille forward to install the headlamp to the vehicle.
  2. Install the headlamp assembly to the vehicle.
  3. Reach behind the headlamp assembly to connect the headlamp electrical connectors.

1. Press headlamp assembly rearward to engage the headlamp ball stud (1) into the fender socket. IMPORTANT: It will take a high amount of force to perform the next step.
  2. Install the 3 bolts to secure the headlamp to the vehicle. NOTE: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions. Tighten the bolts to 6 N.m (53 lb in).

1. Lift the fascia upward in order to insert the fascia studs into the fender key slots.
  2. Slide the fascia rearward to attach the fascia to the fender.
  3. Install the bolt (1, 2) to secure the fascia to the fender. Tighten the bolts to 9 N.m (80 lb in).
  4. Install the front fascia extension to the vehicle.

1. Install the push-pin retainers to secure the upper portion of the front fascia and grille to the upper tie bar.
  2. Close the hood.
  3. Raise and support vehicle. Refer to Vehicle Lifting.

1. Position the air deflector to the vehicle.
  2. Install the push-pin retainers to secure the air deflector to the vehicle.
  3. Lower the vehicle.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
How can I install headlight bulbs in 2005 Cadillac CTS without taking fender off?
Expert:  Ivan replied 3 years ago.
I assure you that this is the way. That info is directly out of the service manual. You could try just removing that inner wheel well panel that is shown in that picture, but I don't believe you will have the room to get the bulb out. Try it and see.
Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technican
Experience: ASE Master Tech w/ 20+ years in the field. Self employed for 9 years. Member of AUTOLAB radio show.