Pete, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  17 years Cadillac experience as a technician.

Automatic transmission..few minutes..restart..the light stays

automatic transmission warning light comes on sometimes & then the car bogs down when you start from a stopped position. stop for few minutes & turn the engine off & restart. the light stays off & the car run ok for several weeks.
Submitted: 6 years ago via AllDataDIY.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Pete replied 6 years ago.

Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

O.k.,what sounds like what could be failing here is a component in the transmission,the light is coming on to indicate a fault within the transmission electronics system,this can range from transmission solenoids wiring problems to the transmission,valves sticking in the valve body or the valve body itself,what is happening is the vehicle is most likely going into a limp mode or lower power mode to keep the vehicle from damaging any components this is why the vehicle bogs down until you cycle the ignition key,when you cylce the key it is resetting the system and may run and act fine until the problems occur again.Its to hard to say from here what exactly is failing it would be best to have the fault codes scanned in the computer systems to see what codesd have set,make sure the trans fluid is full and loosk and smells ok,then from there a dealer or trans shop should do the diagnosis to locate and repair the fault.Most shops and dealers have the right scan tool to retrive these codes and I have even heard of parts stores checking fault codes for people for free as it helps them drum up business.

I hope this information helped,If you need anything else let me know,If you feel satisfied that I have assisted please click accept as this is how I get paid,positive feedback is appreciated,Thanks Pete.