BigBob, Service Manager/Technician
Experience:  Shop Manager with 25 years experience

CTS: I reprogram ecm that I purchase to replace defective one.

How can I reprogram ECM that I purchase to replace defective one. I have a CTS 2004 3.6. I was wondering if there is a manual way of doing it without having to take it to Dealer

Only a shop with a 2534 global programmer or a dealership can flash it or install the software. There is no way to manually do it, you have to have a programmer and a GM subscription to do it. Let me know if i can help further.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I replaced the ECM on the car and nothing will turn on. is it because the ECM needs to be reprogrammed?
Yes, it has an Electrically Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory (EEPROM) that requires programming for correct operation. This is probably why it will not work, most new ecm's have to be flashed before using.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks Bob,

I will accept your answer after you recieve this thank you. Off to the Delear i guess unless if I can find that program
Well it is not just a program it is a pass through device ($1500). You may check with some local shops, they may charge less to flash it. I work for an independent and we have one.

Thanks again for using just answer,