RICH
RICH, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  L1 & MASTER ASE CERTIFIED, GM WORLD CLASS CERTIFIED, 10 YEARS CADILLAC EXPERIENCE
29426485

My back passenger door wont unlock on a 2000 deville DTS.

My back passenger door won't unlock on a 2000 deville DTS.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  RICH replied 4 years ago.
Hi my name isXXXXX the window on the same door work up and down. And does the lock on that door make any movement or noise at all.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes the window goes down and you can hear noise when I try to unlock it
Expert:  RICH replied 4 years ago.

It will lock though, just not unlock, correct

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Correct
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How do I fix it
Expert:  RICH replied 4 years ago.

The door lock actuator needs to be replaced and it is serviced as part of the door latch on the door itself. You have to take the door panel off and then go inside the door and

disconnect linkage and connector, then take 3 external bolts out, the door panel is the hardest part and they will break easily even if taken off properly at times, so if you don't have a lot of experience taking door panels off you might consider having someone familiar with cadillac door panels take it off, cause they are expensive to replace.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can the panel come off with the door closed
Expert:  RICH replied 4 years ago.

No there is not enough room, the door cannot be unlocked manually with lock knob then

opened up. And I told you wrong earlier the actuator can be serviced separately from the latch but you have to remove the latch and then take the actuator off of it.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can I do that with the door closed? Or does the panel still have to come off
Expert:  RICH replied 4 years ago.
To get the latch out the panel has to come off. The door can't be unlocked manually?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I tried I can't seem to pull it up
Expert:  RICH replied 4 years ago.

I've seen 2 just like this, both times it was the door lock actuator that was bound up on the latch, the easiest way i found to get to the rods that attach to the latch was to bust out the outside door handle and it was still pretty difficult to get to inside of the door and

get it open.

RICH, Cadillac Technician
Experience: L1 & MASTER ASE CERTIFIED, GM WORLD CLASS CERTIFIED, 10 YEARS CADILLAC EXPERIENCE