Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Why do my spark plugs keep fouling out

Why do my spark plugs keep fouling out? I keep replacing them. They get gas soaked.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.

Pull the vacuum line off the fuel pressure regulator to see thereis fuel in it if so replace, if not replace the coolant temp sensor which can cause it to flood out.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There is no fuel in the fuel pressure regulator, and the coolant temp sensor tested good.
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.

Here is a picture of the fuel pressure regulator.

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry about that, what I meant to say, was that there was no fuel in the fuel pressure regulator.
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
Ok, the next step is to replace the oxygen sensor, if problem still there replace pcm. You can get a used pcm from www.car-parts.com sort by price and have them ship it to you to save money.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have replaced the pcm already. The last mechanic told me that the o2 sensor was replaced, however it does not look new, from what I can see anyway, is there a way to test it?
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
You can monitor the purple wire and it should be around 400mv while running.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, I will try that. However, before I let you go, could I ask if there is anything else that it might be. I have replaced the distributor, the ignition switch, the hall-effect switch, the coil, the egr, the map sensor, the negative battery cable, and of course, the distributor cap and rotor, and it sees like I'm forgetting something else, but anyway, Thank You , and please let me know if there is anything else I may need to check.
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
I dont think there is anything else you need to check.........When it stalls you could put a good plug in there right away and check spark to make sure the spark isnt going weak to cause it to flood, if so its directly a fuel related problem. If you end up running into problems you can reply even after you accept and we can continue, thanks.
Dan, Technician
Experience: Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok, another question please, How do I fix error code 53, My papers say it is "Distributor Signal Interrupt"

Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
Considering what you hae replace it sounds like you have a bad pcm ground which is common so monitor ground and clean them.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Should the PCM unit be solidly attached? My is just kinda hanging in there.
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
It should matter because all the grounds connect through the connectors not the housing.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Did you mean should not matter?
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
Oops, ya thats what I meant.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, thank you.
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
No problem, let me know how it goes. Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello again, Well, it will not start now. It is getting fuel and spark. I've been going through the wiring diagrams and checking everything.

Thank You

Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
Ok, alot of the time when vehicles flood out it causes too much gas in the oil and washes down the cylinder walls to cause low compression. So at this point you can try to add a cap full of oil into each cylinder and that should help restore compression so it starts. So first pull the fuel pump fuse and turn it over a few times....add a cap of oil to each cyliner turn it over a few more times, then put the fuse back in and try to start it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok I'll give it a try
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
Ok, if it doesnt work you may want to do a compression test to verify its low compression and u may have to change the oil.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi again,

I took my car to a shop and had a complete diagnostic done, I was told that all my fuel injectors are leaking internally. However, when I called to get replacements, I was told by many of the parts stores that this didn't make sense that all of them should not go out at the same time. Is that true?

Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
I agree, they didnt all fail.....You can remove injector rail from vehicle with injectors still connectored then watch to see which one fuel leaks from.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm now getting a code 22, 70 and 98. Open tps circuit. How do I fix or check it.