Pete, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  15 years Cadillac experience as a technician.
14928985

Car wont start...clicking noise....

Customer Question

car won't start...clicking noise....engine light blinking
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Pete replied 4 years ago.

Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

I just need a little more info to assist better,Is the clicking noise coming from under the hood?Do any of the lights inside or outside of the vehicle flicker or go out when trying to start the vehicle?Have you tried to jump start this vehicle or checked battery connectiosn to make sure they are clean and tight?Let me know,Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, the noise is from under hood. lights go out when trying to start...except for engine light blinking. did try to jump start and check battery connection - no luck. car sat in driveway two weeks while out of town. oil was low but topped it before trying to start. gas tank is full.
Expert:  Pete replied 4 years ago.
ok either the jump start didnt work due to possibly bad connections with the cables or bad jump start cables,or you have a loose corroded connection somewhere on the vehicle,check all battery connections and follow the battery cables and make sure where they connect to at every point is tight and clean.Try charging up the batery with a battery charger as well and see if that helps.This could be a security issue as well,try turning the key on and leave it like this for about 12 minutes then shut off the key and then tryu to start it,if this doesnt work then it may have to be towed into a delaer to have the theft system reprogrammed to work in your vehicle rpoperly and allow starting as well.I hope this information helped,if you need anything else let me know,if you feel satisfied that I have assisted please click the accept answer button as this is how I get paid,positive feedback is appreciated,Thanks Pete.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

does this sound as though my engine could have seized? my friend said that because it was low on oil when i drove it last he thought that was the problem.

i will def give you pos feedback and accept answer - i appreciate the fast response.

Expert:  Pete replied 4 years ago.
i guess it coud be possible but usualy you would have heard it seize up the last time you drove it unless you got it really hot then shut it off when it was low on oil,if you can gain access to the front crankshaft pulley on this engine,tkae a ratchet and a socket that fits the bolt on the crankshaft pulley and turn the pulley by hand,if it turns then the engine is not seized up,if it doesnt turn (and it can be difficult to turn which is normal with compression) then you could have a seized engine here.I hope this information helped,if you need anything else let me know,if you feel satisfied that I have assisted please click the accept answer button as this is how I get paid,positive feedback is appreciated,Thanks Pete.
Pete, Cadillac Technician
Experience: 15 years Cadillac experience as a technician.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the engine light blinking? what could this mean?
Expert:  Pete replied 4 years ago.
this coud be security related or possibly a computer fault or loose connection.Thanks Pete.