Matt J
Matt J, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Tech,10+ Yrs Experince All Makes,Advance Training On All GM Makes

99 cadillac STS: mass air flow sensor 2 solenoid misfires..trans

Customer Question

99 cadillac STS wont shift from first gear. Changed transmission still wont shift

Codes coming up previous to transmission work were mass air flow sensor
2 solenoid misfires in trans
gas code
cylinder misfire

My tech was not able to clear the codes.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Matt J replied 4 years ago.

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be more than happy to asisst you.

Can you tell me what all the code #'s were?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks Matt!

I am checking on getting the actual codes from the shop. I should have those in an hour or so. The above as all I can remember currently.

Expert:  Matt J replied 4 years ago.
No problem, Once you get the codes just post them on here and we will go from there.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok Matt here we go...

The tech managed to clear the codes after the transmission was installed but as soon as he started test driving they returned. The car still wont shift. It may be useful to note that just prior to the car stopping to shift I was in a snowy graveyard for a few hours. As soon as I pulled out is when I lost the gears.

The codes are:

P102

P735

P753

P0758

P1645

P1860

P404

Tech also noted that the Idle Control was not working properly but he did not get a code. When changing the Trans he noticed a few wires that were broken and he repaired them. He was not sure what they were going to but he thought a sensor of some kind.

I hope this is something youve seen before....he is a transmission guy and has no idea where to go from here.

Thanks Matt!

Expert:  Matt J replied 4 years ago.

The wires they repaired were probably the whole cause of your problem. The transmission was not the cause.

Have them check the IGN 1 10 AMP fuse in the under hood fuse block and see if it is blown?

If the fuse is good let me know.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Matt,

Thanks. My car is several hundred miles from me so my Dad is doing the communicating with the shop on his end and they have already closed for the day. He will check first thing in the AM.

Is it really possible for that blown fuse to be responsible for all/most of the codes? Not doubting just sounds too good to be true.

Thanks

Expert:  Matt J replied 4 years ago.

That one fuse being blown will cause all of those codes. Most likely the wires they found broke one of them was the power feed wire from that fuse. It shorted out and blow the fuse.

That one fuse supplies power to the shift solenoids, Mass air flow sensor, egr valve, and purge control valve.

If the fuse is good then have them go back to where they made the wiring repair and look for a Pink wire or a Pink/Black wire broken.

Matt J, Cadillac Technician
Experience: ASE Certified Master Tech,10+ Yrs Experince All Makes,Advance Training On All GM Makes
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

You were right!

Thank you!

Expert:  Matt J replied 4 years ago.

It was just a blown fuse.

I bet there was nothing wrong with the transmission, All it was is the wires that they found and repaired. The wires were the whole cause and when they broke they blow the fuse.

You may want to check all the fuse just to be on the safe side, if there was more than one wire that was broke.

If you have any more questions or need help please let me know.

Thank you for the accept and bonus.

Matt J