Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), Cadillac Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

WHAT HAPPENS WHEN A FUEL PUMP GOES BAD?

Customer Question

WHAT HAPPENS WHEN A FUEL PUMP GOES BAD?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Gm Tech (Cam) replied 4 years ago.
WElcome. What a pump goes bad, there are a few possible outcomes. First is a lack of power if the pressure is not high enough. Also it can cause a no start if the pressure far too low to open th injector, and it could cause a hard start if the check valve fails and allows the fuel to run back.
Gm Tech (Cam), Cadillac Mechanic
Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i took my car to pep boys they said they think its a fuel pump but which one they dont know. All the codes came back reading something about the CAMs. I took it to another shop and he says its the map sensor. they are towing it to a GMC dealer this morning.

the check engine light has been on for about a year. just last week i have been having to feather my foot on the pedal to give it gas when starting it because it was sounding like it would cut off if i didnt. then i started to to leave work one day after getting there with no problem and it didnt start, i turned it off and it cranked up. got home and tried to start it and it wouldnt crank, waited and hour and it cranked the next day left for work with no problem got to work and had to move my car and it would not crank waited an hour and it still didnt do anything. i had to have it towed to pep boys and they never got it to crank. at the second shop they have gotten to crank after new spark plugs and new starter but the engine wont stay on and it sounds like the engine is struggling. What should they really be looking for as the possible problem? and how much might that run me?

This does have the symptoms of a fuel pump. MY initial ballpark guess is 500, but with out diagnosis on my part, cannot say for sure.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
I thought he would have giving me more input since i gave him more history about my situation. his answer was shorter than the first and simular to what i had already recieved with no background