Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

sensor located..speedometer..erratic..vehicle speed sensor

Where is the transmission speed sensor located and how can I get to it? It seems I need to replace this part, because the speedometer suddenly stops functioning and the transmission shift becomes erratic. Is vehicle speed sensor (VSS) the same as transmission speed sensor?

Thank you

Swami.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.

The vehicle speed sensor is the same as transmission output speed sensor. It is located on the transmission, near where the passenger side axle exits the transmission.

graphic

Dave Nova, Cadillac Technician
Experience: ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX do I get to it? From the top or from underneath the car?
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
It is best to access from under the car.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
IS THE SPEED SENSOR CONNECTED TO RELAY OR FUSE, IF SO HOW CAN I LOCATE THIS FUSE OR RELAY?
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
The speed sensor is not conected to a relay or fuse. The vss generates its own ac voltage signal and is connected to the engine control module (pcm)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
THIS IS A NEW QUESTION.

I WANT TO REPLACE THE ELECTRONIC STRUTS WITH NON-ELECTRONIC STRUTS IN CADILLAC SLS FOR BOTH SIDES IN THE FRONT. COULD YOU TELL ME WHAT TOOLS I WOULD NEED AND HOW TO DO IT?
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.

.You need to remove the struts, then have someone compress and remove the springs then install them onto the new struts. You can then install the struts onto the vehicle. It takes a special tool to compress the springs. Below are the removal and installation instructions.

graphic

• Remove the three strut mount bolts.
  • Raise the vehicle and suitably support by the frame allowing the control arms to hang free.
  • Remove the wheel and tire.
  •  

graphic

• Disconnect the wheel speed sensor connector.
  • Remove the wheel speed sensor bracket from the strut.
  • Remove the brake line bracket from the strut. Notice: Care should be taken to avoid chipping or scratching the coating when handling the suspension coil spring. Damage to the coating can cause premature failure.
  • Scribe the strut to knuckle.
  •  

graphic

Edited by Dave Nova on 4/3/2010 at 4:04 AM EST
    Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
    1. Remove the strut to knuckle bolts.
    2. Remove the strut from the vehicle.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

1. Install the strut. NOTICE: Always use the correct fastener in the proper location. When you replace a fastener, use ONLY the exact part number for that application. The manufacturer will call out those fasteners that require a replacement after removal. The manufacturer will also call out the fasteners that require thread lockers or thread sealant. UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED, do not use supplemental coatings (paints, greases, or other corrosion inhibitors) on threaded fasteners or fastener joint interfaces. Generally, such coatings adversely affect the fastener torque and joint clamping force, and may damage the fastener. When you install fasteners, use the correct tightening sequence and specifications. Following these instructions can help you avoid damage to parts and systems.
  • Install the three upper strut mount bolts and washers. Tighten strut mount bolts to 48 Nm (35 ft. lbs.) .
  • Align the scribe marks on the steering knuckle with the strut
  • Install the strut to knuckle bolts and nuts.
  • Install the brake line bracket to strut.
    1. Install the wheel speed sensor bracket to strut.
    2. Connect the wheel speed sensor connector. Tighten
      • Tighten the strut to knuckle bolts to 170 Nm (125 ft. lbs.) .
      • Tighten the brake line and wheel speed sensor bracket to 17 Nm (13 ft. lbs.) .
    1. Install the wheel and tire. Tighten the wheel and tire to 140 Nm (100 ft. lbs.) .
    2. Lower the vehicle.
    Dave Nova, Cadillac Technician