Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

My 94 Cadillac Fleetwood reads Pass Key Fault on the dash

Customer Question

My 94 Cadillac Fleetwood reads "Pass Key Fault" on the dash display, and will not start right away. I have to wait 3 minutes for it to go away and re-try to start. Sometimes it will not start at all. I recently replaced the starter but my car kept the starter on and it burned out. What is going on with my car? Is it the ignigtion cyclinder, the stater, the wiring, the battery or the CCM (computer)?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.

The problem is most likely the ignition lock cylinder, there are two tiny wires coming out of the cylinder that break over time. You can replace the ignition lock cylinder or you can bypass the system. If you want to bypass the system, use an ohmmeter to find the resistance across the chip in the key. Then go to Radio Shack and purchase a resistor of the same resistance value. Wire this resistor across the two white wires coming out of the steering column under the dash. These white wires are encased in orange insulation where they come out of the column, then break out of the insulation near the connector. See illustration below.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Is the ignition lock cylinder the reason that the starter remained on and burned out? or is the cylinder just causing the "pass key fault" theft lock?

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
The cylinder is just causing the pass key fault. The starter staying engaged would have been due to a faulty starter solenoid on the starter that was replaced or a bad ignition switch.
Dave Nova, Cadillac Technician
Experience: ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thats what I was thinking that the starter staying on was a starter problem. Alright thanks for all your help. Hopefully i'll get that fixed.

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for using Just Answer.