Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

99 eldorado: intermittent..crank..excessive voltage draw.

Customer Question

99 eldorado intermittent no crank. excessive voltage draw. all accesories work.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
If there is no crank but still excessive current draw then this most likely means your starter is bad because the use of the voltage/current shows that the starter is using voltage which means all of the wiring is going to it and working like it should. I would go ahead and replace the starter. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the readout holds at 12.6 i meant the current draw happens while the car is running.
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
How are you checking current? It sounds like you have bad alternator or battery.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the voltage readout on the dash. the battery is new.
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
Voltage and amperage are two different things......If the vehicle starts after it wont start without having to charge the battery or get a jump start then the problem is likely the starter....You will need to access the starter and the large wire should have voltage at all times and small wire should have voltage with key in crank position.