RICH, Cadillac Technician

1993 Cadillac Deville: information center panel

Customer Question

We are getting a "service sss" message in the information center panel on a 1993 Cadillac Deville. Can you help with what that means? Thanks!
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  RICH replied 6 years ago.
hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX sss means speed sensitive suspension, and the light being on means there is a problem with the electronic portion of your electronic suspension. You can ck codes of the system by grounding pin c of the DLC to ground and counting the number of flashes of the service lamp with key in run position. Code 12 should flash 3 times to signal the beginning of the sequence, it will then be followed by the codes, each flashing 3 times, and the sequence will end with 12 again. Let me know what code it is, you may want to clear codes if more then 1 is set, do this by connecting a wire between DLC pin A and C and unplug one end for 1 second and plug back in for 1 second 3 times with key in run, that will clear codes, then run car to see if light comes back on, when it does repeat code ck procedure. Most likely one of the strut actuators is shorted or open.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks Rich.

If it is an actuator, is the car safe to drive (my wife currently has the vehicle)?

Expert:  RICH replied 6 years ago.
yes it is perfectly safe to drive. You won't notice any difference most likely besides the lamp being on.