FIXITMAN, Master Technician

2006 Cadillac CTS: whinning..40 miles per hour..Transmission fluid

My 2006 Cadillac CTS makes a whinning noise when the car is going between 20 - 40 miles per hour, but only sometimes. Car can be hot or cold. Transmission fluid is full. Any ideas of what the problem could be?
HelloCustomer does the noise change depending on whether you are accelerating or decelerating?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Actually, very good question - the noise happens only when accelerating. Soon as I take my foot off the gas, the noise stops.

Okay, and can you tell if the noise seems to come more from the engine compartment or the rear of the vehicle?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

It does not sound like the noise is coming from the engine, and if I put the window down to listen, I can't hear the noise at all. Hope this helps.

Okay. THe two most common causes of this are the rear differential pinion bearing or the exhaust system. You will need to get the vehicle up in the air and get the vehicle up to speed to see if you can locate the general area of the noise. If it is the rear differential then it is usually the pinion bearing. If it is from the exhaust then the transmission control module can typically be reprogrammed to fix this.