Hank B
Hank B, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  26 plus years ASE certified. ASE Certified Master Tech. in Auto/Lt. Truck & also Med/Heavy Truck
24930646

Heated seat in my 07 Escalade driver side has quit working.....any

Heated seat in my 07 Escalade driver side has quit working.....any suggestions. Out of warranty and would like to attempt to fix this myself instead of taking it in
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Hank B replied 4 years ago.
Do you have access to a scan tool with live data?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I do not but would that give me the answer? When I turn the cooled seat on the fan does not fire up. Is there a fuse I can try?
Expert:  Hank B replied 4 years ago.
Yes you can check fuses & circuit breakers first but we might need live data to locate the problem. I was having trouble finding which fuse it is so I recommend checking them all with a test light. Touch both sides of each fuse with the key on & if one side doesn't light you have a blown fuse. Be sure to check the under hood & the dash fuse box's. Then you can check the seat connector itself for good power & grounds.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I do have a code reader but it does not go in deprth. We got it to turn off a dash light on another vehicle. The passenger seat does work so I don't know if they are on the same fuse but maybe that info will help you out also the heated wheel works and I do know that is seperate under the hood. Go figure its very cold right now in duluth, minute as well. Good time for this to happen
Expert:  Hank B replied 4 years ago.
Seems like the cold always brings out problems. I think they would be on the same fuse but can't confirm that. I think the power wire is pink & probably bigger than most of them. Grounds are usually black. Here's a TSB I found.Let me know if this helps.

Bulletin No.: 06-08-50-013

Date: November 09, 2006

INFORMATION

Subject:
Diagnostic Information on Inoperative Heated/Cooled Seats Models:
2007 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT

The purpose of this bulletin is to provide dealers with information to help diagnose inoperative heated/cooled seats (seat cushion, seat back or both).

Both Seat Back AND Seat Cushion Heated/Cooled Functions Inoperative

Verify that connections to the heat/cool seat module (1), which is located under the passenger side seat, are fully seated.

The smaller 10- and 16-way connectors (2, 3) should have the blue CPA fully engaged.

The 12-way connector (4) should be inspected to make sure that it is fully seated.

Seat Back Heated/Cooled Functions Inoperative

Verify that the black 8-way connector (1) is fully engaged. To gain access this connector, remove the plastic seat back panel. The connector is located just above the blower.

Attempt to pull the mating connectors that go to the blower and seat back harness apart WITHOUT depressing the release lever. If the connector disengages, force the connectors together until a "click" is heard and the connectors can no longer be pulled apart without depressing the release lever.

Seat Cushion Heated/Cooled Functions Inoperative

Verify that the black 8-way connector (1) that connects the seat wiring harness to the blower takeout is properly seated. This connector is located under each seat and can be accessed from the rear underside of the seat.

Force the connectors together until a "click" is heard, and then attempt to disengage the connector without depressing the lever release. If you are unable to disconnect, a full connection has been attained.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I took a look at the plugs this morning and everything looked to be plugged in correctly and tight. When I press the button for cooled seat the fan starts up and runs for about 5 seconds. The passenger seat which is working the fan starts up and keeps running. The heat button for the driver side also starts the fan but it only runs for a few seconds and shuts off.......if the fan is starting up it is getting power from my best understanding of the function of heated seats in an Escalade. Any other ideas???
Expert:  Hank B replied 4 years ago.
Sounds like it's getting power but I think you'll need to scan live data to continue. Here's the diagnostic chart you can look at & see if you can check some of the item's.

Notes

HEATED/COOLED SEATS INOPERATIVE

DIAGNOSTIC FAULT INFORMATION
Perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle prior to using this diagnostic procedure. See: Testing and Inspection\Initial Inspection and Diagnostic Overview\Diagnostic Starting Point - Vehicle

CIRCUIT/SYSTEM DESCRIPTION
The heated cooled seat system operation is controlled through the switch inputs of the HVAC control module. When a heated or cooled seat switch is pressed a GMLAN message is sent to the Memory Seat Module (MSM) indicating the switch is active. The MSM monitors the heated cooled seat switch inputs and determines the appropriate operating mode. When a heated or cooled seat function is activated the MSM will send a GMLAN message to the HVAC control module to illuminate the appropriate indicators and a PWM message to the Climate Control Seat Module (CCSM) to activate the appropriate heated cooled seat function. The CCSM controls heat/cool seat ventilation blowers located under the seat cushion and behind the seat back. The ventilation blowers are self contained electronic air conditioners consisting of a blower motor with an inlet air filter, thermal electric device (TED), temperature sensor, and waste air duct. The air flow from the blower is divided into 2 streams and directed across both sides of the TED, one side into vent passages through the seat foam and the other out the waste air duct. While the system is operating in either the heat or cool modes both heated and cooled air is generated as it passes across the TED. When voltage is applied to a TED, one side releases energy as heat, while the opposite side absorbs energy and gets cold. The supply voltage to the TEDs is controlled by the CCSM and the polarity determines which side gets hot or cool. When the polarity of the current flow to the TEDs is switched, the hot and cool sides of the TED reverse. The CCSM monitors the temperature of the air flow into the seat foam and continuously adjusts the blower speed and TED temperature by regulating the current flow through each component. The CCSMs rely on inputs from temperature sensors located in the ventilation blowers near the TEDs to control seat temperatures. The thermistors are 2 wire sensors supplied with a 5-volt referenced signal circuit and a low reference circuit from the CCSM. Resistance through the thermistors varies with temperature causing the heated seat sensor signal circuit voltage levels to decrease as the TED temperatures rise.

DIAGNOSTIC AIDS
The following conditions must be met in order to perform valid tests when diagnosing the climate control seat (CCS) system:

• The ignition must be cycled OFF then ON between each test in order to reset the CCSM.
  • The engine must be running in order to supply CCSM with the amount of current needed to operate the heated/cool seat system.

CIRCUIT/SYSTEM VERIFICATION

1. Engine running, verify that the heated cooled seat indicators function normally as the driver and passenger seat heat and cool functions are attempted to be operated.
    • If the heated cooled seat indicators do not function normally perform the Heated Cooled Seat Indicator Circuit Test.
  1. Verify that the driver and passenger seat heat and cool modes function normally.
    • If all of the driver and passenger seat heat and cool functions are inoperative, perform the Driver and Passenger Heated/Cool Seats Circuit Test.
    • If any of the heated cooled seat functions are inoperative for one of the front seats perform the Driver or Passenger Heated/Cool Seat Circuit Test

CIRCUIT/SYSTEM TESTING

Heated Cooled Seat Indicator Circuit Test
  1. Ignition ON, verify that the HVAC module driver and passenger heated seat switch parameters display Active while any of the heated cooled seat switches are pressed.
    • If either of the switch parameters are continuously Active or Inactive while any of the headed cooled seat switches are pressed, replace the HVAC control module.
  1. Verify that the MSM driver and passenger seat HVC mode and level parameters are displayed correctly as the heated cooled seat switches are activated through all of the operating modes.
    • If the MSM parameters are not displayed correctly replace the MSM.
  1. If the circuits test normal replace the HVAC control module Driver and Passenger Heated/Cool Seats Circuit Test
  1. Ignition OFF, disconnect the C1 harness connector at the CCSM.
  2. Ignition OFF, test for less than 5 ohms of resistance between the ground circuit terminal M and ground.
    • If greater than 5 ohms , test the ground circuit for an open/high resistance.
  1. Verify that a test lamp illuminates between the B+ circuit terminal E and ground.
    • If the test lamp does not illuminate, test the B+ circuit for a short to ground or an open/high resistance.
  1. Ignition OFF, disconnect the C2 harness connector at the CCSM.
  2. Ignition ON, verify that a test lamp illuminates between the ignition circuit terminal 1 and ground.
    • If the test lamp does not illuminate, test the ignition circuit for a short to ground or an open/high resistance.
  1. If all circuits test normal, replace the CCS module. Driver Heated/Cool Seat Circuit Test
  1. Ignition OFF, disconnect the C1, C2, C3 harness connectors at the CCSM.
  2. Connect a test lamp between the heated/cooled seat mode signal circuit terminal 14 (C3) and battery voltage.
  3. Press the HEAT or COOL switch through the high, medium, and low positions to OFF. The test lamp should illuminate until the OFF position is reached.
    • If the test lamp does not illuminate, test the signal circuit for a short to voltage or an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the MSM.
    • If the test lamp is ON with the switch in the OFF position, test the signal circuit for a short to ground. If the circuit tests normal, replace the MSM.
  1. IMPORTANT: If the resistance is measured with the seat still warm or cool, the resistance values will vary. At 68°F, (20°C) the nominal resistance value is 1200 ohms ±5 percent . For hotter or colder ambient temperatures, refer to the Temperature vs Resistance table. The delta resistance values between the seat cushion and seat back temperature sensors should not be greater than 2000 ohms . Test for 300 ohms to 18K ohms of resistance between the following temperature sensor signal and low reference circuits.
    • Connector C2 seat cushion temperature sensor signal circuit terminal 7 and low reference circuit terminal 8.
    • Connector C2 seat back temperature sensor signal circuit terminal 9 and low reference circuit terminal 10.
    • If the resistance is greater than the specified value, test the sensor signal circuit and low reference circuit for a short to voltage or an open/high resistance. If the circuits test normal, test or replace the appropriate heat/cool seat ventilation blower.
    • If the resistance measures less than the specified value, test or replace the appropriate heat/cool seat ventilation blower.
  1. IMPORTANT: The test leads must be connected in the correct polarity, otherwise lower out of range values will appear. Use the Positive Lead for the COOL control circuit and the Negative Lead for the HEAT control circuit. If the resistance is measured with the seat still warm or cool, the resistance values will vary even if the system was powered up for just a few seconds. The TED must be allowed to stabilize to room temperature prior to a measurement. The following conditions will change the resistance to out of range values:
    • The test leads are incorrectly connected.
    • Air blowing across the TED.
    • Measuring the resistance at other than room temperature of 70°F (21°C) .
    • Holding the TED portion of the heat/cool seat ventilation blower in your hand.

In hotter or colder climates where room temperature conditions of 70°F (21°C) may be unattainable, resistance values may read above the specified range. Use a heat gun or a blower to warm or cool the TED while measuring the resistance. The resistance values should slowly lower toward the specified range.

Test for 0.9-10.0 ohms of resistance between the following heat control and cool control circuits.

• Connector C1: Seat cushion heat control circuit terminal G and cool control circuit terminal H.
  • Connector C1: Seat back heat control circuit terminal J and cool control circuit terminal K.
  • If greater than 10 ohms , test the control circuits for an open/high resistance. If the circuits test normal, test or replace the appropriate heat/cool seat ventilation blower.
  • If less than 0.9 ohm , test or replace the appropriate heat/cool seat ventilation blower.
  1. Test for infinite resistance between the following circuits and ground.
    • Connector C1:
    • Seat cushion heat control circuit terminal G
    • Seat cushion cool control circuit terminal H
    • Seat back heat control circuit terminal J
    • Seat back cool control circuit terminal K
    • Connector C2:
    • Seat cushion temperature sensor signal circuit terminal 7
    • Seat back temperature sensor signal circuit terminal 9
    • Connector C3:
    • Seat cushion blower motor speed control circuit terminal 11
    • Seat back blower motor speed control circuit terminal 12
    • Blower motor supply voltage circuit terminal 16
    • If less than infinite, test the appropriate circuit for a short to ground.
  1. Connect the C1, C2, C3 harness connectors to the CCSM.
  2. Disconnect the harness connector at the seat cushion heat/cool seat ventilation blower.
  3. Ignition OFF, test for less than 5 ohms of resistance between the blower motor low reference circuit terminal 4 and ground.
    • If greater than 5 ohms , test the low reference circuit for an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the CCSM.
  1. Ignition ON, test for 4.8-5.2 volts between the temperature sensor signal circuit terminal 5 and ground.
    • If greater than 5.2 volts , test the signal circuit for a short to voltage. If the circuit tests normal, replace the CCSM.
    • If less than 4.8 volts , replace the CCSM.
  1. IMPORTANT: The ignition must be cycled OFF then ON between each test in order to reset the CCSM. Ignition ON, connect a test lamp between the following control circuits and ground. The test lamp should illuminate or slowly illuminate for approximately 2-4 seconds after the switch is pressed. On the heat control circuit, the test lamp may exhibit a 4 second delay before it starts to illuminate.Press the HEAT switch for heat control and the COOL switch for cool control.
    • Terminal 1 seat cushion heat control circuit
    • Terminal 3 seat cushion cool control circuit
    • If the test lamp does not illuminate, replace the CCSM.
    • If the test lamp is always ON, test the appropriate control circuit for a short to voltage. If the circuit tests normal, replace the CCSM.
  1. IMPORTANT: The ignition must be cycled OFF then ON between each test in order to reset the CCSM. Connect a test lamp between the following circuits and ground. The test lamp should illuminate or slowly illuminate for approximately 5 seconds after pressing the HEAT switch.
    • Terminal 2 seat cushion blower motor supply voltage
    • Terminal 7 seat cushion blower motor speed control
    • If the test lamp does not illuminate, test the appropriate circuit for an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the CCSM.
    • If the test lamp is always ON, test the appropriate circuit for a short to voltage. If the circuit tests normal, replace the CCSM.
  1. Connect the harness connector to the seat cushion heat/cool seat ventilation blower.
  2. Disconnect the harness connector at the seat back heat/cool seat ventilation blower.
  1. IMPORTANT: The ignition must be cycled OFF then ON between each test in order to reset the CCSM. Ignition ON, connect a test lamp between the following control circuits and ground. The test lamp should illuminate or slowly illuminate for approximately 4 seconds after the switch is pressed. On the heat control circuit, the test lamp may exhibit a 4 second delay before it starts to illuminate.Press the HEAT switch for heat control and the COOL switch for cool control.
    • Terminal 1 seat back heat control circuit
    • Terminal 3 seat back cool control circuit
    • Terminal 2 seat back blower motor supply voltage circuit
  1. If all circuits test normal, test or replace the appropriate heat/cool seat ventilation blower.

PASSENGER HEATED/COOL SEAT CIRCUIT TEST

2. Connect a test lamp between the heated/cooled seat mode signal circuit terminal 6 (C3) and battery voltage.
  1. IMPORTANT: If the resistance is measured with the seat still warm or cool, the resistance values will vary. At 68°F (20°C) , the nominal resistance value is 1200 ohms ±5 percent . For hotter or colder ambient temperatures, refer to the Temperature vs Resistance table below. The delta resistance values between the seat cushion and seat back temperature sensors should not be greater than 2000 ohms . Test for 300 ohms to 18K ohms of resistance between the following temperature sensor signal and low reference circuits.
    • Connector C2 seat cushion temperature sensor signal circuit terminal 7 and low reference circuit terminal 3.
    • Connector C2 seat back temperature sensor signal circuit terminal 9 and low reference circuit terminal 5.
  1. IMPORTANT: The test leads must be connected in the correct polarity, otherwise lower out of range values will appear. Use the Positive Lead for the COOL control circuit and the Negative Lead for the HEAT control circuit. If the resistance is measured with the seat still warm or cool, the resistance values will vary even if the system was powered up for just a few seconds. The TED must be allowed to stabilize to room temperature prior to a measurement. The following conditions will change the resistance to out of range values: In hotter or colder climates where room temperature conditions of 70°F (21°C) may be unattainable, resistance values may read above the specified range. Use a heat gun or a blower to warm or cool the TED while measuring the resistance. The resistance values should slowly lower toward the specified range.
    • Air blowing across the TED.

• Connector C1: Seat cushion heat control circuit terminal A and cool control circuit terminal B.
  • Connector C1: Seat back heat control circuit terminal C and cool control circuit terminal D.
    • Connector C1:
    • Seat cushion heat control circuit terminal A
    • Seat cushion cool control circuit terminal B
    • Seat back heat control circuit terminal C
    • Seat back cool control circuit terminal D
    • Connector C2:
    • Seat cushion temperature sensor signal circuit terminal 2
    • Seat back temperature sensor signal circuit terminal 4
    • Connector C3:
    • Seat cushion blower motor speed control circuit terminal 3
    • Seat back blower motor speed control circuit terminal 4
    • Blower motor supply voltage circuit terminal 8
    • Terminal 7 seat back blower motor speed control

REPAIR INSTRUCTIONS

Heat/Cool Ventilation Blower Thermistor

Perform the Diagnostic Repair Verification after completing the diagnostic procedure.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
That looks to be very helpful. Think I am going to need to get the live data. I will have to see if I can find someone who can help me out with getting that. Any chance you have some diagrams of the components associated with the seat so I can find each of these items?
Expert:  Hank B replied 4 years ago.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The pic didnt transfer over. Where can I purchase a scan tool from that would aide me in finding my issue?
Expert:  Hank B replied 4 years ago.
I don't know if this will transfer but will try. You can get a scan tool at Checker/ O Reilly that does live data but don't know if it will give enough info for what your doing. I use a Genysis, by OTC but they're pretty pricey.

Driver Seat Diagram 2

Driver Seat Diagram 3

Driver Seat Diagram 4
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The scan tool we have can clear codes, but wont give back data that we need I do not think. I was just looking at an AutoTap that I can connect via usb to my laptop and they are around $200 which if it gives me the answer I need is worth it. I am really hoping I can find this issue out sooner than later.
Expert:  Hank B replied 4 years ago.
I know very little about the cheaper scan tools but doubt a $200 tool will give you what you need.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
More of a PC interface than a tool. The PC is doing all of the work its the cable between the vehicle and the computer that makes it possible. Well at least that is my understanding. Just drove it and the seat worked 2 of the 4 times the truck was started. Now I am really confused.....
Expert:  Hank B replied 4 years ago.
I have given you everything I can think of. An intermittent problem is hard to diagnose unless it's acting up at the time. A module or a bad connection can be causes of an intermittent problem.
Hank B, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 26 plus years ASE certified. ASE Certified Master Tech. in Auto/Lt. Truck & also Med/Heavy Truck