car tech
car tech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 years as shop owner and master tech

Cadillac: overheated..Parked for 2 hours - Car wont start

My 01 Cadillac overheated - shows 'engine is hot'. Turn off ignition. Parked for 2 hours - Car wont start again, instead it was flashing 'security'... what could be wrong
does the starter turn the motor a click or anything
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The starter do not turn the motor at all... it just keep flashing security

try this theft relearn

30-Minute Relearn Procedure

Use this procedure after replacing the following components:

The passkey III (PK3) keys
The theft deterrent control module
The PCM, see important above

Important: This procedure is not available on vehicles equipped with option code (Z49 or BAE).

If replacing a theft deterrent control module with an GM SPO Replacement Part, perform the procedure to setup a new theft deterrent control module prior to the 30-minute relearn procedure.

1. With a master passkey III key (Black), turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  2. Observe the Security telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn off.
  3. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
  4. Repeat steps 1-3 two more times for a total of 3 cycles or 30 minutes.

Important: The vehicle learns the key transponder information and/or passwords on the ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

5. With a master passkey III key, start the vehicle. The vehicle has now learned the key transponder information and the PCM has now learned the fuel continue password.
  6. With a scan tool, clear any DTCs.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I only have 1 key that came with the vehicle when it was purchased. I dont know what 'passkey III key (Black)' is, do I have to buy the key or is it the ignition key? Where do I buy the 3 items you listed for replacement?
you dont replace anything just follow the steps for relearn with the ignition key you have