Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

1996 Cadillac: SLS..to theft systme, remove ignition key

1996 Cadillac SLS System disabled due to theft systme, remove ignition key. Followed all the directions in the manual and used the second key too. Still will not start. Have looked for the other 2 fuse boxes and cant find those to check fuses. Had to be towed home yesterday. Help

Does your cadillac have the chip in the key? Looks like the ones pictured below?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes, it does have the chip in the key. I did what the manual said and also tried the 2nd key to the car. My husband even disconnected the battery overnight thinking that it, might reset itself this am. still doesnt start and have the same answer, it does not give us the start car response as the manual indicates. It does say there could be a fuse issue. There are 3 fuse boxes on the car, we can on ly find the one under the hood. Please advise, if I need to tow again I will, just trying to avoid that and get the car going again today instead of maybe tomorrow?

There are two fuse panels under the hood, basically both in the same location on the drivers side fender under plastic cover.

graphic

There is a third fuse panel in the trunk on the backside of the rear seat.

graphic

If the fuses all look okay, the most likely source of your problem is a broken wire coming off the igniton lock cylinder. The lock cylinder has tiny wires that carry the signal from the chip in the key to the security module. These wires often break because they flex each time the key is turned.